Contractors from Angie's List?

12 Replies

Has anyone used contractors from Angie's List?  Where they professional, affordably, trustworthy and honest?  ...I know, I'm asking for a miracle!!!

I recently started using a couple from Angie's List.  The reviews are helpful, but you still have to do your due diligence.  

Hi Mark!  

Thanks for the info...I've been watching your contractor woes from your blog!  I have unlicensed tradesmen that I use a lot and trust...

but I'm going to need licensed contractors to pass city inspections when I start flipping again.  I've found them to charge at least 3x what I'm use to paying and I don't want to pay outrageous prices for the same quality of work!

Are you happy with your Angie's List contractors so far?

...BTW, @Mark Ferguson  I wish I lived in CO or your company was here in AZ to apply for the RE agent job opening you just announced!!! ;))

I'm trying to model your path to success...it really resinates with me!

thank you!   I guess I should post that job opening on BP.  I have not had any jobs started yet with the Angie's list people.  So far they have been great communicating. They are scheduled to start this week

...cool!  I'll be following your updates on investfourmore.com!

Thanks for your replies!

@B Reeves , I have also had good luck with contractors from HomeAdvisor.  They prescreen the contractors, so at least that's something

@B Reeves I try to prescreen Contractors myself but now and then I have small misunderstandings.

I can't afford the sometimes overpriced Contractors on Angie's List. I think the List gives them a license to charge Homeowners, retail-plus rates. Our REIA has had over a hundred join in the last year. At the meetings and with our email newsletters it's a good opportunity to preScreen them and see who you're comfortable with.

Some of the Rules I've heard: If they're wearing brand new penny loafers and a sweater vest? NO! If they arrive in a brand new unscratched pickup truck? NO!

Finally, you can only pick two of these three options: Price, Speed & Quality.

I've had very good luck with Angies list. Let them know you're an investor, put together a scope of work and ask them a 'ball park' figure before you have them out to estimate. I provide photos of everything along with the scope of work and see if it's worth our time to have them come onsite. I've had ball park estimates for the same job come in at $10k, $12k, $15k and $35k. Guess who didn't get invited onsite. 

Originally posted by @Bryan H.:

I've had very good luck with Angies list. Let them know you're an investor, put together a scope of work and ask them a 'ball park' figure before you have them out to estimate. I provide photos of everything along with the scope of work and see if it's worth our time to have them come onsite. I've had ball park estimates for the same job come in at $10k, $12k, $15k and $35k. Guess who didn't get invited onsite. 

________________________________________________________________________________-

If I am deciding ,I will disqualify outright the lowest and the highest provider of the estimate!

those companies charge the contractors to remove bad reviews.  kind of like bbb does.  home advisor used to be called....  service magic.  they got sued or became super unpopular so they had to changed the name.  

contractors are from there think they can charge a lot.  and they do....  homeowners.  

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.