Leak repair advice needed

8 Replies

My parents recently had a refrigerator leak on the main floor and the water went down into the basement (in Northern Virginia).  They're having a horrible time with the insurance company to assess and recommend reputable companies to fix the damage.  My main concern is moisture and mold.  I found several companies on Angie's List who either wouldn't call them back or don't do this type of work.  

My question is, what type of companies should I look for and in what order (do we need a mold inspection of will a general repair person know to take all the possible pieces of flooring off and that will fix the issue)?  Or...  It's been almost three weeks and I am getting concerned.  Thank you for your advice!

i would look up a contractor on google or From the phone book get them to acces the damage and go from there. I would also get a general contractor they would probably be your best bet.  Before you hire anyone make sure they are insured.  

@Margarita R.

Was the leak from the refrigerator itself or the water line that fed it?  Most leaks in this situation are from faulty line connections or saddle valves which feed the unit.    Have you looked into a local ServPro location that could do all the work in one stop.  I've never used them however it could be a good choice since you're newer at this.

I second what Darren noted. Call servpro. I have used them in the past and they will take care of it all as well as perform testing once complete to give you a clearance letter noting there is no mold.

i back up darren as well. i have never used serve pro myself either but not because i don't trust them, but because i have never had the need, thank god. yes, the water leak source is an issue. was it on account of the freezer thawing? or was it the water line that fed the fridge? the cause of the issue needs to be addressed as well as a complete repair of the results of the leak. if it has been 3 weeks, mold most likely is not going to be an issue. most black mold will start to grow within 48 hours and certainly by 3 weeks would be very evident. there are 18 different species of black mold and only 2 of them are toxic. the chances of getting the toxic kind are slim, yes, but still possible. a reputable company such as servepro  certainly could leave you with no worries in the end

Any type of water damage should be address by a "remediation," "mitigation" or "restoration" company. That will take care of all the water damage and mold/mildew/growth issue. First, they should give you an estimate to dry or "clean-up" the mess. After everything is clean, they should give you another price to restore or "put-back" everything.

Every policy is different, and cover different things, and different amounts. Some insurance companies may only allow you to use "their" contractors, some may allow you to use whomever you want and the pay.

Hiring a repeatable company that is licensed, insured, and bonded is a must, to make sure it is cleaned up properly, and restored properly. The leak repairs itself, should be repaired by a plumber, if the leak was caused by the plumbing. Which of course, should be addressed first, before clean up can start. 

I've been a plumber for over a decade in the DMV, and that's how we deal with water damage. Repair leak, dry/clean, and then restore.

I don't want to seem like I'm advertising or soliciting, so without naming the company I work for, I will say the company I work for offers both. We provide plumbing services and we have a division that specializes in restoration. If you would like more info, PM me.

Water Damage = Remediation/Mitigation/Restoration Company

Leak = Plumber

$$$ = Insurance?

Originally posted by @Mark Elliott : if it has been 3 weeks, mold most likely is not going to be an issue. most black mold will start to grow within 48 hours and certainly by 3 weeks would be very evident. there are 18 different species of black mold and only 2 of them are toxic. the chances of getting the toxic kind are slim, yes, but still possible. a reputable company such as servepro  certainly could leave you with no worries in the end

Any type of growth can be very hazardous, whether it be fungus, mold, mildew, or whatever. Maybe not fatal, but still a can be hazardousto your health. There are definitely more than 18 species of molds/fungus/mildew out there, and many are colorless. Many also don't take long to grow. Some people can be very sensitive to it and get very sick. Many can have respiratory issues and allergies. DO NOT TAKE IT LIGHTLY. Many people also have issues and not even know it from the mold. Just brushing off the minor symptoms as minor allergies or irritations, when in fact they are caused by growth in the home the whole time.

hi vanna h. you need to read my post a little closer. i said there were 18 different species of BLACK mold, not just mold. toxicity can come in many different forms, yes. the degree of reaction to it is, of course, directly related to the person that comes in contact with the mold, be it breathing it in or touching it. some people with asthma can be more greatly affected by it than someone without asthma, of course. what i am saying in my post is that the black mold species that is most dangerous will show itself within 48 hours after the effected area is created. so, in this case, if black mold, ( the dangerous kind) has not shown up in 3 weeks, chances are it will not. can other species of mold form in this case??? certainly. please read clearly my post before commenting on it. by the way, i am a professional home inspector with a mold remediation certification. just thought you may want to know that

Hey Mark,

Wasn't trying to bash you or anything, but i wanted to stress the importance of cleaning it up properly, and that it should not be taken lightly.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.