Contractor Recommendations Cecil County Maryland

Contractor Recommendations Cecil County Maryland

Kent County, DE · Member since 2014 · 147 posts · 22 votes

Can anyone recommend a good General Contractor for a single family home in Elkton, MD?

Thanks

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Professional Auctioneer · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

Elkton Maryland is where I started investing over 40 years ago. That county was good to me.  I am sure it will good for you.

  • A good contractor may be good for me or others because of management skills, but may be not so good for others.
  • You may want to write a list of everything you want done, be very detailed; 40 Gl. hot water heater, replace and finish 200 sf of dry wall in the living room and basement
  • Replace roof with (name the material)
  • I believe when you understand the scope of the job you want, you will be able to compare prices.
  • I would want to know how long it will take, divide that into the estimate to see cost per hour
  • Ask for the estimate cost of material
  • I am in a $1.5 MM development now, it is interesting and a great opportunity to learn how to stay ahead of the contractor
  • He is not your friend. You don't need a friend, this is a business, you have enough friends
  • Make sure the contractor does not get ahead of the draws
  • Don't pay until certain parts of the job is complete. His money problem is not your problem.
  • Go to Home Depot early in the morning to meet contractors picking up material, ask them to meet you for an estimate.
  • Contractors in the yellow pages are more expensive
  • Always check references, go look at the job, talk to the home owner
  • Accept NO excuses!
Charles Parrish Baltimore
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Professional Auctioneer · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Elkton Maryland is where I started investing over 40 years ago. That county was good to me.  I am sure it will good for you.

    • A good contractor may be good for me or others because of management skills, but may be not so good for others.
    • You may want to write a list of everything you want done, be very detailed; 40 Gl. hot water heater, replace and finish 200 sf of dry wall in the living room and basement
    • Replace roof with (name the material)
    • I believe when you understand the scope of the job you want, you will be able to compare prices.
    • I would want to know how long it will take, divide that into the estimate to see cost per hour
    • Ask for the estimate cost of material
    • I am in a $1.5 MM development now, it is interesting and a great opportunity to learn how to stay ahead of the contractor
    • He is not your friend. You don't need a friend, this is a business, you have enough friends
    • Make sure the contractor does not get ahead of the draws
    • Don't pay until certain parts of the job is complete. His money problem is not your problem.
    • Go to Home Depot early in the morning to meet contractors picking up material, ask them to meet you for an estimate.
    • Contractors in the yellow pages are more expensive
    • Always check references, go look at the job, talk to the home owner
    • Accept NO excuses!
    Charles Parrish Baltimore
  • Kent County, DE · Member since 2014 · 147 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    @Account Closedthank you for the tips. I will be sure to use them in my evaluation process. I will be out early next week at Home Depot to do just what you suggested.  It's good to hear that you have moved on to such large deals. I hope to do the same. 

  • Professional Auctioneer · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Thank you and good luck.

    I hope it is OK to post these drawings. I call it Parrish's therapy.

  • Attorney · Worton, MD · Member since 2014 · 274 posts · 195 votes
    10y

    @Sean Salandy - Did you find a contractor?  I live in Elkton and have worked with several here.  Are you planning a reno or complete build?  What is the scope of work?

  • Kent County, DE · Member since 2014 · 147 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    @Brian Tome thanks for the response. I have a few contractors that have come out to look at the house. I am waiting to get the bids back from them.  This will be a renovation. Split level 2br with possible 3rd br in the lower level. I plan to make it a 3br.  2 bath. I plan on doing the following:

    • Laminet floors in the living room hallway bedrooms. 
    • Tile in the kitchen and bathrooms
    • Brand new kitchen including cabinets. 
    • Brand new bathrooms 
    • Paint all rooms (2-tone)
    • Frame a new laundry room in lower level 
    • New light fixtures

    Mostly cosmetic work. Have you had success with contractors in the area?

  • Attorney · Worton, MD · Member since 2014 · 274 posts · 195 votes
    10y

    @Sean Salandy

    I have worked with Bob Kohler from Kohler Construction on projects like this.  I have a flip going right now where I partnered with another contractor and it is moving way too slow.  

    I would highly recommend Bob.  Also, his wife Myra does kitchen and bath design, so if you need some help with that, she will be able to give you lots of great ideas.

  • Kent County, DE · Member since 2014 · 147 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    @Brian Tome Excellent! Thank you. I will be sure to contact him. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.