• Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Contractors Run After W-9 Requested

James H.
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Aug 21 2016, 09:12

We used to do all of the unskilled labor, plus a few skilled things, ourselves.  But, we have come to a point where we have to start hiring things out.

A few weeks ago, we had a painter paint a property.  He did a wonderful job.  He reluctantly gave us a social security number in exchange for a check; but I understand we should have asked him to complete a W-9.  He quoted another job but then said, "I am booked until further notice."  I texted him about another job about a month later and he seemed very excited to do it until he realized who he was talking to.  Silence after that.

This morning, we had a cleaning person and her son come by.  They did a great job.  They wanted to be paid in cash and we obliged.  $100 for a nice deep clean.  We told her that we were extremely happy about the job and wanted to hire her in the future for more cleaning jobs.However, she refused to fill out a W-9 and said that she would not give us a tax number under any circumstances.  We explained that we wouldn't be able to hire her again without it.  The cleaner dramatically threw up her hands in a huff, ran down the stairs, and screamed hysterically, "I can't believe you didn't like my job!  I worked so hard!"   

How does everyone else deal with this?  By the way, none of these people were illegal immigrants...

Loading replies...