Looking for a General Contractor

9 Replies

Hi Mark,

I own a local tile shop so I run into many GC's. What part of Charlotte are you in? A lot of GC's prefer to stay close to home ie. up in Lake Norman, or just south charlotte etc. 

I'd start locally by asking friends and family for a trusted contractor they've worked with. If nothing comes up for a trusted contractor source then I'd turn to local businesses with a solid reputation and rating among the community. If you still can't find anything then turn to sites such as HomeAdvisor and WhtsWht to connect you with a professional and get your projects done. 

Guys, I am a GC and I can tell you to stay away from any lead generation services. They charge contractors an arm and a leg and the contractors that need lead gen services aren't the kind of contractors you want. They are not able to sustain a consistent organic flow of work for one reason or another. Thumbtack and Homeadvisor are bad resources in my opinion. 

Ask your local code officers who some good contractors are the code officers will know which contractors do a good job and are professional, call your big building supply chains. Not home depot, but a local lumber yard, or a supplier that sells siding, shingles, decking, etc. They will have a massive list of contractors that they deal with on a daily basis.