Just bought a house and i found electrical issues not to code

8 Replies

Hello everyone, I have some friends that just bought a house in San Diego and they had me over to give some electrical advice. As I looked in the attic, the house is clearly a flip. There are multiple code violations with the newer work. These violations are not hidden at all. As a commercial electrician I know that the flipper should have pulled a permit. But there is not possible way that it would have passed an inspection. Any advice? Thanks
Originally posted by @Jered Lafuze :
Hello everyone, I have some friends that just bought a house in San Diego and they had me over to give some electrical advice. As I looked in the attic, the house is clearly a flip. There are multiple code violations with the newer work. These violations are not hidden at all. As a commercial electrician I know that the flipper should have pulled a permit. But there is not possible way that it would have passed an inspection. Any advice? Thanks

I would say there is a chance they pulled permits and it wasn't caught. I just had an electrical inspection... inspector never went above a ceiling, didn't do anything but walk around for 30 seconds, and then we chatted and he left. He "checked" next to nothing. Luckily I trust my electrician on everything he is doing.

@Jered Lafuze Very common in this area for people flipping not to pull permits, so doesn't surprise me in the least.  Not an expert in seller liability, but...

The buyer is obligated to perform their own diligence, so I don't see a practical recourse at this point.  They'd have to prove the seller specifically knew about something and tried to cover it up - next to impossible for small stuff where someone else was hired to do the work.

I sold my CA home in '02, and soon discovered the truth about "anybody can sue you for anything". Had an issue we fully disclosed. Took us to arbitration and somehow managed to win anyway..?! The judgement was then split between us and our realtor' insurance company. Your case is waaaay more clear cut than ours. I would recommend giving them a full price estimate for the repairs then taking the legal route (as much as I normally hate litigious people).

This is why some buyers avoid flipped properties. The rehab cost, and time will be double if you do it legitimately & pull permit.

It’s depend on how your friend write the offer. If he bought it as is, then that’s it. Else, he can ask the seller & his real estate agent to foot the bill.

If your friends report it they will most likely need to pull permits have the work done by licensed contractor and POSSIBLY be subject to a fine even through they did not have the work done

Personally I would have the work fixed

It was a flip , so one of 2 things could have happened . The flipper did the electrical and didnt pull a permit . Or the homeowner before that did the work or had the work done and didnt pull a permit .  

So now your friends will have to prove the flipper knew .  

It would probably be easier to just fix it and move on