Hiring uninsured contractors

Hiring uninsured contractors

Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2008 · 139 posts · 5 votes

What are the risks of hiring a contractor who is not insured?

0Reply
205 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2011 · 115 posts · 43 votes
15y

You may also want to check into your contractors vehicle insurance. In addition to Liability, Workers Comp, Comm. Vehicle coverage is needed. I just had my insurance guy tell me that my liability has exclusion for loading and unloading the truck.

Insurance is a cost of doing business. As a professional remodeler it is my business to protect my assets and my investors.

You should call a business insurance specialist and request a consultation. Tell them what you are doing and how to protect yourself. When I hire subcontractors I make sure they have "THE RIGHT" coverage. I hate to do it but when I have a good feel for a guy I pay to get the coverage started. I look at it as a deposit.

You will not find ANYONE for $10 an hour with adequate coverage. Be careful protect yourself. On a bigger project a performance bond.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Lake Mary, FL · Member since 2009 · 63 posts · 20 votes
    15y

    Aaron,

    That is the catch....It will cost a little more to use insured contractors...I am one of them...but it seems like you are saving money by using unlicensed, uninsured handyman until something happens that puts your entire business in jeopordy.

    As investors we have to find a happy medium between covering our butts and finding a realiable contractor at a reasonable cost.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2011 · 49 posts · 5 votes
    15y

    Uninsured= Lawsuit

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.