Contractors

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Mikhael
Votes |
Problem with a contractor

Ryan Mikhael
Posted May 15 2019, 11:00

We‘re having a problem with our contractor. A crane fell on our house in February 2018. It punctured a Large hole in the roof and rain that came in the following days caused lots of water damage. We had to move out of the house for several months while getting it fixed. We hired a company to do the repairs, and though they were very off the original schedule we were able to move back in in Dec. of 2018.  They sent a final invoice in December which was paid in full, but we’ve still been in contact with them because they hadn’t finished everything that was required of them through our insurance company. (Invoices sent in to allow the insurance company to reimburse us for our expense) 

It’s been five months since our final invoice, and yesterday, our contractor called saying they came across some invoices that they had missed that needed to be paid. He came by our house with a folder full of random papers which were “receipts” for our project. We paid a little over $40,000 (which was a bit over the initial estimate) and he is saying that the total bills equaled close to $120,000. Saying we owe them an additional $80,000.  He was actually expecting us to give him a check for the difference yesterday. At the moment we are currently in shock.  Is this normal? Are we being scammed? Because that’s what it feels like. How do you manage to miss giving us $80,000 worth of invoices, and then think 5 months later you can spring that on us when it’s 3x higher than what we’ve already paid you and the initial estimate.  Do we need to get a lawyer? Do we need to speak to the owner of this company? I own my own business and I could never imagine doing this to a client. Especially after a final invoice has been sent out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Loading replies...