Contractors in Detroit?

6 Replies

Hi All,

I am an Out of State investor and looking to invest in the northern Detroit Suburbs, but am not in touch with any reliable contractors. Do any of you have recommendations for going about this?

Thanks

@Jake Levine Hi Jake! I’m a realtor and investor here in the Detroit area. I’d suggest joining Metro Detroit Real Estate Investors on Facebook and searching the group for contractors. Plenty of testimonials within the group.

I would say get a reliable boots on the ground person and pay them for this service. I know so many investors that get screwed trying to work this way with contractors. The contractors run off with the money or never complete the job. I have my list of contacts but sort of protective over my business relationships from being degraded from sharing with investors that didnt do right by them.

Originally posted by @Keyonte Summers :

I would say get a reliable boots on the ground person and pay them for this service. I know so many investors that get screwed trying to work this way with contractors. The contractors run off with the money or never complete the job. I have my list of contacts but sort of protective over my business relationships from being degraded from sharing with investors that didnt do right by them.

Keyonte nailed it. I've been working in Detroit since May and have started building my list of reputable contractors. I have a plumber that I LOVE. I've shared that contact with a fellow investor/friend here locally, but it's not a name I'd just give out to anyone.

And that's the problem for out of state folks. None of us local guys are going to open up our black books and give you all the info we had to work hard for. I've gotten screwed by contractors just like anyone else, but I'm at least here and can react quickly before it gets out of hand. That information hasn't come free to me. How can I justify giving it out for nothing?

I hope that doesn't sound too harsh. The reality is you're going to go through the same process. It's going to be harder and more work for you being out of state, and that's why most out of state folks aren't successful here.

There is a lot of development/investment going on in and outside of the city and there are a TON of neglected homes that need work.  Detroit has a shortage of skilled trades at every level. It is difficult for locals to find good people and even more difficult for out of state investors. But you can find them.  I would say you definitely don't want to use the guy that is available today and you don't want the cheapest bid.  That is a recipe for issues.  Join some facebook groups and search for past recommendations. Good luck.