Cost of painting an apartment?

10 Replies

Hello,

How much does it typically cost painting an entire apartment that is 1300 square ft. I will appreciate if someone can give me a ballpark with and without ceiling.

Thanks

Midwest prices? $3500-4500

If there's a lot of prep, drywall repair, cracks, or wall paper removal the price will go up. 

1000 max for just paint, labor and material. 

@Theresa Harris

Thank you! Most of the painting is in tact, there are few sections on walls with stains

and holes due to nails from previous tenants, I initially thought of doing it myself but I am afraid it may start looking patchy. Appreciate any DIY tips

Originally posted by @Peter Morgan :

@Theresa Harris

Thank you! Most of the painting is in tact, there are few sections on walls with stains

and holes due to nails from previous tenants, I initially thought of doing it myself but I am afraid it may start looking patchy. Appreciate any DIY tips

Patch the holes, then sand those down. Wash the walls with warm water and a bit of Dawn dish soap (or TSP). If the stains and holes are only one one wall, just paint that. Hopefully you have leftover paint, but if not either try to match it (remove an electrical outlet cover and take some drywall that is painted from an area covered by the plate) or get an accent colour. If you are doing an entire wall, if it is a close match it will be fine. Look around your room and you will see even though the walls are probably painted with one colour, they look a bit different depending how the light is hitting them.

If you don't have paint or need to paint all the walls, check the paint store for neutral mistints.  You can often get good  colours of good paint for not a lot of money.  When I had to do this a few months ago, I called a few paint stores and asked if they have neutral mistints and then went to one. I got 3 gallons of a nice colour for $30 total....about 25-30% of the regular price.  Buy a decent brush for cutting in the edges (you can always tape the edges if you don't have a steady hand-go slowly) and a roller for the main part.  Use a drop cloth on the floor and take your time.  Cutting in takes the longest.

@Theresa Harris

Thank you so much this was very helpful!

and painting walls definitely seems like a DIY

I just have one more issue there is some painting a very small section on ceiling that seems to be getting peeled off please find a pic is this something also a DIY to fix?

Originally posted by @Peter Morgan :

@Theresa Harris

Thank you so much this was very helpful!

and painting walls definitely seems like a DIY

I just have one more issue there is some painting a very small section on ceiling that seems to be getting peeled off please find a pic is this something also a DIY to fix?

Scrape it off.  Plaster the area and sand it smooth, then paint.  Ceilings usually use a flat paint while walls use an eggshell or velvet.

It depends on whether or not there are carpets in the apartment and whether or not you are hiring a professional painting company, or hiring some fairly decent handyman.

Apartments can be painted in half the time when there are no carpets. We always remove all the carpets, electrical plates and window blinds. It depends on whether or not you are painting two coats or switching colors.

We always use Home Depot's Satin finish paint and go with like a very light tan or Linen White. While gray colors are the fad I personally hate gray in an apartment. 

The most I pay a very good handyman to paint an apartment is $250 per day and if he can't paint just the walls in three days including cleaning all the floors, under appliances, plumbing fixtures, etc. he will never paint for me again. So, you may be looking at $750 plus $500 for paint, floor covering, brushes, rollers, caulking, cleaning solutions, etc.. So, you are looking at about $1250.

If you hire a professional painting company where you never get a guarantee that the job will be better than a handyman I agree with another post that the cost is about $3500.

I am 71-years old and I just painted about 24 homes in Las Vegas in the past 18 months. I work with one worker and we painted every home two coats of paint including the ceilings and even the ceilings, walls and floors in every 2-car garage and we completed every house in 2 to 3 days including cleaning all the floors, under appliances, bathtubs, windows and even the yards and some of the homes were 2700 sq ft. We bring a 3rd worker who never touches a paint brush or roller and he does all the repairs like replacing faucets, replacing broken sinks, instlaling new window blinds, re-installing electrical switch plates and the list goes on and on. Those properties cost me $6,000 to $12,000 to complete by the time we pay $2800 to $4900 for carpeting and other flooring.