BP Average Post Score Forumla

7 Replies

I was just curious, what is the algorithm for the Bigger Pockets Average Post Score? I want to raise my score so I can be on the top 5 leader board. 

If the algorithm was revealed, I bet that there will be people who end up "gaming" the system.  BP previous had a scoring system that was being gamed, so I don't expect this algorithm to be disclosed.

Maybe you should just spend some more time contributing worthwhile content and not worrying about some hypothetical score that probably means little to most members.

@Steve Babiak  Thanks for the suggestion, but I was just curious on what the formula was and was not aware that it was being gamed. If you were to look through my past post, you would see that I make it a point try to add value to people and not just say "hi and welcome." SO your "maybe" and "hypothetical score" does not apply to me. Please do your due diligence before accusing others.

Thanks,

George 

Everybody's score is hypothetical - that is what I meant;  I was not accusing you of gaming since you are newer to BP than when that older scoring system was retired - so you couldn't have done that.  And without knowledge of how the new scores are derived, it's unlikely you - or anybody - can game the system this time (at least for now, since there are smart people here who will eventually figure out what activity has bigger impact on the score).

Having worked at places where there were scoring models for performance evaluations, I can say that some people figure out how to take advantage without performing.  Just the way it is I guess.

For what it's worth, this is disclosed:

"

About your post score

Your post score shows your influence on the BiggerPockets Forums. The number takes into account several factors, most importantly the number of votes your posts have received and the number of posts you left. The more high quality posts where you provide great value — the higher your post score will become. Your post score is updated daily based on your previous seven days of activity."

So one of my posts in this thread received a vote, and out of curiosity I wanted to see what the heck was worthy of a vote. 

And seeing it was about the leaderboard, I had my curiosity aroused ... who was on that leaderboard? And how did they get there?

Well, I can't say how they DID get there for certain, but I can say it was not from posting frequently in the BP forums. None of the "leaders" that I checked had posted in more than one topic within the last week. So if you think posting in the forums will put you high on the leaderboard, I'd venture to say you'll be disappointed. 

Maybe the formula being used is skewed too far to the blog participation, and maybe there is good reason for that. But like I posted above, once somebody figures out how to "game" the scoring model, then who knows what anything is worth once you have that  ...

I don't even know how all of that works and really it doesn't matter to me.

If you post quality content over time it seems to get indexed high in Google in organic searches. No guarantees just what I have seen over time.

A lot of business I get is not even BP members. They do a search on Google or similar for a keyword and BP pops up on page one in results for instance. They go to the link and see my response and volume of posts. They contact me by phone or e-mail and we go from there.

I have made contacts this way with high net worth individuals close to 9 figures in wealth and below.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you