Profiling the mistakes I have made.

2 Replies

Hi All

I am new to BP and was updating my profile. In the profile area there are text boxes we all filled out so that others can see our experience, our goals and what we are currently interested in.

So I started to think about the work I have done and then it dawned on me that perhaps what is most important is not necessarily my experience but the mistakes I have made and what I have learned from them.

Maybe the founders of this most excellent website would consider putting in a text box for “Mistakes I have made & what I learned”. Then others could use the info to avoid making the same mistake. I think it would help a lot of people, I wish I had a database like that over the last few decades. Just an idea. Cheers! 

@Glenn Callahan

Welcome to BP! I like your point. When I check reviews of hotels, service people, etc. I like to check the negative ones first and see if I can live with whatever the others are complaining about. If I can't, I move on, but other times I think "that's not so bad" and I'm saving money or coming out ahead in some other way- location, etc. 

It could be the same with investing. In many cases we could learn more from others mistakes and know what to watch out for. It takes a level of humility to admit to mistakes, though, and I'm sure it is easier for most to share successes.

Hi Mark

Thanks  for the tip on hotels I will definitely use that.   

I think people who can show a little humility are the ones we should seek out and do business with and I would worry about the ones who have never made mistakes.  

Best

Glenn

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.