Votes... What are they good for?

38 Replies

Hello

I'm new to Bigger Pockets. Can someone explain to me what votes are and if there is a customary way of reply to those who vote. I tried to find a glossary for bigger pockets. I figured out that Quote is reply and Connect was self explanatory but the vote has me wondering.  

@Warren Nelson   It is just a nice way to say I liked your post.  Under your picture in your posts it list the number of posts and the number of votes. If someone has a high proportion of votes to posts, the BP community seems to think they are posting worthwhile information.

It certainly would be polite to thank someone for a vote, however I rarely do and I rarely receive thanks for the votes I give.  I pay it forward by voting for others that post good information.

I vote for posts that I think give especially good value to the discussion, or teach me something new.... and often ones that make me laugh! And sometimes it's just kind of an "atta-boy" for someone posting a success story or good news... 

10 votes on a post gets you a gold star. (Or its equivalent.)

When you look at the number of votes on an individual post you can also click that to see who the "voters" were. When you read through a thread and see a post got a lot of votes it tends to show that is a post with good content you may want to pay attention to. By looking at who voted it can also give an idea of others with credibility that agree with the content as well. 

When I look at posts about tax lien/deed info, and I see @Ned Carey  voted for it I might give it some more credibility since I know that is something he is very experienced and knowledgeable about.

Originally posted by @Sylvia B. :

10 votes on a post gets you a gold star. (Or its equivalent.)

Way back when votes were first instituted on BP, a certain number of votes changed the background color of the upper part of the post (what we might consider a heading area). IIRC, 5 votes got a shade of gray, and 10 votes got a bluish shade. That is something that you would notice, and IMO that if you were aware of the meaning of that coloration you would be more inclined to actually read the posts with color even when just skimming a thread. 

Is it better to give or receive?  How come members names only show how many votes they've received vs. given?

@Kirk R.  , I don't think it would necessarily add any value to show number of votes given. I mean, you could vote on all sorts of posts, but all it would show is that you're enthusiastic. in fact, I think there are a certain limit to the number  of votes you can use in a day. Is that right? Maybe @Dawn Anastasi  can tell us, she's a moderator...

Anyhow, it's not a contest -- just a way to facilitate the conversation. Otherwise you'd probably have a ton of "I agree with Ned (or Steve, or Matt)" posts to scroll through.

Originally posted by @Jean Bolger :

@Kirk R.  , I don't think it would necessarily add any value to show number of votes given. I mean, you could vote on all sorts of posts, but all it would show is that you're enthusiastic. in fact, I think there are a certain limit to the number  of votes you can use in a day. Is that right? Maybe @Dawn Anastasi can tell us, she's a moderator...

Anyhow, it's not a contest -- just a way to facilitate the conversation. Otherwise you'd probably have a ton of "I agree with Ned (or Steve, or Matt)" posts to scroll through.

I don't think there's a limit to how many votes you can give in a day.  If you're feeling happy you might just vote all day long.

Originally posted by @Kirk R. :

Is it better to give or receive?  How come members names only show how many votes they've received vs. given?

At one point, there were questions about credibility of posts. Some users made lots of posts, with most being rather worthless. Others only posted stuff that was truly meaningful. And most people who actually write a post fall somewhere in between. 

So votes received on a post were a way of setting a "value" on any post. Some users then realized that the ratio of posts to votes formed a crude method to "measure" a person's contributions. 

Since users who never have written a post still are permitted to vote on posts they read, number of votes cast shows little other than that a user participates by reading. Probably not a very useful metric IMO, especially since I am aware of one very active user who has stated that you will never see a vote produced from their account, and I am aware of others who have  only given votes on rare occasions but have contributed lots of posts. 

I didn't worry about or notice my vote received count until I went to 'Average Post Score 0.00'   Now I am more aware and vote for posts I like so someone else doesn't have to feel worthless!

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi :
Originally posted by @Jean Bolger:

@Kirk R. ...

@Dawn Anastasi can tell us, she's a moderator...

I don't think there's a limit to how many votes you can give in a day.  If you're feeling happy you might just vote all day long.

There does not seem to be any limit on how often you can vote, but there does seem to be a limit of casting at most two votes in favor of any single user in a given 24 hour period. 

Originally posted by @Angelo Behar :
Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:

At one point, there were questions about credibility of posts. Some users made lots of posts, with most being rather worthless.

Where is Joe Gore when you need him?!?!.....account closed...

I say "Good riddance", and I'm sure most BP members would agree - including 

Kristine Marie Poe ...

Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan :

I didn't worry about or notice my vote received count until I went to 'Average Post Score 0.00'   Now I am more aware and vote for posts I like so someone else doesn't have to feel worthless!

That "0.00" score you see when you sign in is meant to motivate.....in a clicky sort of way. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.  :) 

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Michael Noto :

When I saw the topic of this post I thought of Elaine Benes saying "War, what is it good for."  Anyone else?

Yes! I was going to respond, "Absolutely nothing!"

When I saw the topic of this post I thought of Elaine Benes saying "War, what is it good for."  Anyone else?

Hmm ... it was Edwin Starr who came to my mind.

1(506) 471-4126

Me too. War and Peace was originally going to be titled, "War, What is it Good For" until Tolstoy's mistress made him change it........

If you have been around the site for a long time you've probably learned who is giving good advice and providing good information, and who isn't. If you are new, however, you don't have that familiarity with the rest of the community.

Thus, a "vote-to-post ratio" is a helpful tool for newer users especially to quickly see who the community feels is credible.  For example, if you have 500 posts and 300 votes it is likely that you are putting out great content for the readership.  On the other hand, if you have 500 posts and 3 votes you might be putting out more background noise than value and it's time to step up your game!

This tool doesn't work on its own, it's up to the users to vote for posts that they feel add value and it's that collective effort by all that produces this useful tool and motivates all of us to use the forums to help others not just produce useless noise.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.