VACATION RENTAL FORUM? THOUGHTS?

VACATION RENTAL FORUM? THOUGHTS?

Karen MargraveBusiness Member
Moderator
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes

Do you buy, own, or are you interested in Vacation Rentals? How many do you own? How long have you been in the business, etc.? Feel free to tag others that you know that are in VR niche, or thinking about it. 

Most importantly, do you see value in having a VR Forum on BP? 

4Reply
184 views

Most Popular Reply

Levi BennettPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 248 votes
11y

@Karen Margrave We desperately need a VR forum lol.. I talk about it all the time. In the Disney World area or Orlando (Davenport, Kissimmee, Clermont, Windermere, Winter Garden), we eat sleep and breathe this stuff, and there is TONS of interest online for it. It's becoming a front-runner for many REI's.

I think even @Brandon Turner has been talking about adding VR's to his portfolio. 

It's a way of life in some markets. I would love it. 

See this reply in the discussion

49 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Homeowner · Wallingford, CT · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    I would be thrilled to see a VR forum cone to fruition. I'm a Newbie to REI and the draw for me was VR.

    The areas of interests for me are central FL, White Mountains area in NH,  and Eastern NC.  

    @Karin Crompton love the North Conway area. How has your rental property experience been

    Based on what I've read here,  it sounds like the numbers to produce cash flow are getting harder to produce. 

    Hope to discuss more once the VA forum gets started.

  • Rehabber · Niantic, CT · Member since 2012 · 443 posts · 150 votes
    11y

    @Claudio Golia, I found North Conway to be a great place for vacation rentals because it was practically a year-round draw. I'd love to do others in the area if I could find any deals. We sold our house there last summer, only because three families went in on it together and the agreement was that it was essentially a 5-year plan. We knew a little something about rehab but next to nothing about cash flow at the time and were looking to learn the VR business and then sell for a profit, a plan that worked well for us (it wound up sort of like a long-term flip in a cool location that we could also visit and use ourselves). Anyway, I say go for it!

  • Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2008 · 51 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    I would really like having a Vacation Rental Forum.  Although, I have done only Wholesaling with a brief excursion into Short Sales, my goal is to own multiple Vacation Rental Properties.  This thread has already given me some solid leads into where to buy my first property.

  • Gainesville, GA · Member since 2013 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    I think this is a great idea.  I don't have any experience but have always been interested in getting involved and investing in vacation rentals.  A forum in BP on this would be great and I'm sure others would have some great information to share and plenty others would learn from it.  There's obviously a lot of interest for this.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dunedin, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 61 votes
    11y

    I would love to see a VR forum- I have one in Dunedin FL, just bought another property here which is going to end up being a nightmare to rehab so may not cash flow unless I build another rental unit on the property- even thinking tiny house!- and am converting a long term rental in Victoria, BC into a VR. VR forum would be great! then I would really NEVER get anything else done but read BP forums.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    @Waverly Rennie Just curious as to where your VR is in Victoria? I'm from there… How has it been for you w/cap rates, etc? Does it cash-flow?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Sorry for off topic

  • Rental Property Investor · Dunedin, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 61 votes
    11y

    Hi Erich- we have a place in Oak Bay, half a block in from the ocean, on the same block as Delish. We haven't turned it into a VR yet but will be coming to Victoria in July to look at it and talk to some agents. Maybe we should have a coffee then and talk real estate in Victoria! Any other Victoria BC people on the forum? And that's it for the off topic, sorry!

  • Professional · Yona, Guam · Member since 2014 · 62 posts · 30 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Karen Margrave:

     @Jeremy Baker @Angela A.  @Levi Bennett  @Karin Crompton

      @Nayt Grochowski  @Jane Istre  @Christine Larsen  @William Leahy

      @David O. I am in. Great idea. I have vacation rentals and have managed them for others in the past. I use one for home exchanging and this leads to awesome FREE travel stays. I got into investing and managing with the goal of building a vacation portfolio I could bounce around to different locations. But that is a different story.

  • Homeowner · Stafford, VA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    A VR forum would definitely be beneficial.  I'm new to BP and I would love to get involved with VRs.  What are the bank requirements for a VR?  Is it similar to other rental properties or are they looking for more money down?

  • Homeowner · Wallingford, CT · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    @Karin Crompton

    Thanks for sharing your experience in NH.  The plan is as you said to "go for it".  Just working my way there. 

    I know that area of NH quite well, but one of my more recent goals is to learn about that market.  It seems relatively expensive, with little cash flow to be made but that's just based on some cursory research I've done. Nothing in depth.

    Do you still feel comfortable investing in the North Conway area?

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    I'd follow a forum on vacation rentals! 

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Here it is!! Please be sure to keep it active by posting your questions, and answering posts! This is one of the hottest real estate niches in the market right now! 

    Short Term and Vacation Renal Forum

  • Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2015 · 200 posts · 61 votes
    11y


    Originally posted by @Karen Margrave:

    @Maura Paler

     There's definitely value in having this forum! Glad it's finally launched!!!

    I list my North Arlington condo on Airbnb and Flipkey. We get most out folks in for events at the Cowboys Stadium and Rangers Ballpark, both 3 miles away. This month was my biggest income month and July looks like it'll be even busier. I naturally enjoy hosting so it made sense for me to earn some income while doing it! Like @Maura mentioned, I'd love to partner with folks in DFW interested in VR. In a few years, I'll start looking in Florida too. I'll have to post a few questions here in this forum as I'm currently exploring how to valuate future VR investments. I'll explore the responses here too, but this is God sent! Thanks for all who worked hard to put this together! 

  • Chandigarh, Chandigarh · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    10y

    Hey karen Margave

    I am interested in vacation rental.

    I am planning to go on a vacation this December. Could you please suggest me some rentals near Florida, New York and Phoenix?? 

    Thanks in advance

  • James MillerPro Member
    Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2015 · 139 posts · 42 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Alan Merle:

    Hey karen Margave

    I am interested in vacation rental.

    I am planning to go on a vacation this December. Could you please suggest me some rentals near Florida, New York and Phoenix?? 

    Thanks in advance

     Check out airbnb and vrbo. 

  • Stanwood, WA · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hello Everyone,  I am relatively new to BP, and obviously way behind the eight-ball in this blog!  However, I would be very interested in a Vacation Rental Forum.

    I own a waterfront vacation rental home on the Puget Sound in Washington State.

    I have recently been asked by my neighbor a few doors down to help him convert his second home to a vacation rental and manage it for him.

    I would appreciate any help or advice!  Thank you

  • Investor · Marysville, WA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    Check out air  bnb you can list vacation rentals on there. 

  • Stanwood, WA · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    I am already advertised on all the major VR websites, including Airbnb.

    My request for information was to do with management of other VR properties. It would be great to network with someone who is in VR management.

  • Real Estate Broker · Aberdeen, WA · Member since 2015 · 101 posts · 74 votes
    10y

    My company manages about 80 vacation rentals in Hawaii.  First question - are you a licensed real estate broker?  I think you need to be.

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    I just recently joined BP, but have been doing VR's since 2007, my FAV!  Love to network with anyone about VRs. Are we still hoping to add the VR forum? 

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    HIGHLY interested in a VR thread - would love any tips about areas between (not in - too expensive) Boulder and Denver that would be good for part-time VR opportunity.  Thornton, Louisville, Superior??

  • Investor · SC · Member since 2020 · 43 posts · 32 votes
    6y

    Did anything ever happen with this forum? I would love to see it revived.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.