What's your opinion on this? Messages via colleague requests

6 Replies

Hi members,

I was about to send the following message via colleague request and it occurred to me it might be considered a solicitation. I do not want to break any BP rules so I wanted to get some opinions. The person I was sending it to is an investor in the area of the rehab. 

Hi ___,

We have a rehab property in ____, do you know anyone looking for a rehab project.

Here is the post in Marketplace

-link to post-

Thanks,

Tina

Not sure how other people feel but if you sent me a potential deal, and lived in my area I would be glad to see it. It may not be a deal for me, but I don't think anyone here would argue against getting opportunities. 

It would be different if you were blasting it to tons of people that AREN'T in your area. 

To be extra safe, you could simply message these people and let them know you're in their area and what you're doing, then ask if it's ok to send them deals. 

Good luck!

Thanks Alexander, this is helpful. We are all here to help each other do deals and I didn't want to overstep in any way.

Thanks again :-)

I wouldn't do it. I've been banned twice for less. Make the request first. Then send a PM after the request is accepted

Thanks Justice! good insight, sounds like better safe than sorry is the way to go

Yes. That's the definition of a solicitation. You catch somebody in a bad mood they report it... been fun. 

Honestly just put up a post in the marketplace. If that doesn't sell it on here... Go elsewhere. 

Postlets.com/CL are great tools

Good points Ryan. Each person can have a different reaction for sure. I knew if I asked the community, I would get great direction.

Thanks all!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.