Podcast Suggestion - RV Parks

4 Replies

I'd be interested in hearing a guest discuss investing in RV parks on the podcast.  In the Houston area (not a vacation destination), most of these appear to have long term residents living in them, more like a mobile home park.  There is one going in near my house that probably has 50 or more hook-ups.  I personally know of one young man who is living in an RV that his parents bought because he has an eviction and can't get an apartment, so this could be a growing trend.

I have heard that some parks have a bathroom with showers and a laundromat.  A quick search online showed that many seemed to include water, electricity, and even Internet in the site rental.  Some also included cable TV.

Some questions I have:

How does eviction work if the resident doesn't pay their site rental or if they are creating trouble (loud music, etc.)?

Do you screen guests?

What amenities are expected to be provided?

Should water and electric be included in the monthly/weekly/daily rental?

Can the park be operated without having a manned office open during normal work hours?

How/where do the RV's dump their waste?

If the park isn't on city water/sewer, is that just a bad idea?  Land sure is less expensive in rural areas!

What costs are involved with building a park from scratch?

What should you look for in an existing park you are considering purchasing?

We lived in a RV Park last summer between houses.  We had a chance to see first hand some of the pros and cons.  The park we stayed in does not screen.  How can you with nightly rentals there.  A sex offender can be right next to you in an RV park and you would not know it.  There was one sexual offender that was registered with the county that lives there.   They were not on city water or sewer.  They had septic problems while we were there.  Not major but, I have a feeling they need to pump it out often!  Each site had a spot for the rv to dump into the system.  Electricity and very poor internet was included in the price.  There was a bathroom and shower room.  We spent lots of quarters doing laundry.  I have a feeling they make money there also.  Since people are so mobile they never had a problem with eviction.  If they did not pay they were trespassing. 

The people who lived there, some had been there for years, were mostly single guys,one family, a few couples, and then a few who were in and out like us, short term living there.  

It was a very interesting summer.  It was a fun place to live, most of the people were there on vacation so they were relaxed, happy, and in our town to spend money.  Most you would say were affluent.  (a stark difference, between the people who were full time there)

We were there before the full tourist season came into swing and they had limited office hours.  

That is my experience, living in a situation out sided the box, or was it inside the box, since it was a travel trailer??

@Benjamin Blackburn , we have actually modified our plan quite a bit. We live on a Christmas tree farm on 35 acres. We have installed 3 RV hook-ups near our pond and have purchased a tiny house on wheels and are setting it up on one of the hook-ups. We plan to rent it through AirBnB. If returns are decent, we'll purchase another tiny house for our mini-development. My spreadsheet says that if we rent it out 7 nights per month at $75 per night, our ROI will be 7.11%, which is better than what we were looking at for SFR's.

I would still love to hear a podcast on RV parks, though!

Listen to the PodCaster Kevin Bupp.  He has his own show and puts out a lot of great content.  Definitely not as great as the BP PodCast :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.