WHat does it mean to "Vote" on a member's post, etc.?

8 Replies

What does it mean to "Vote" on a member's post? What is the difference between following a member and sending a colleague request?

Just voted on this. Did something happen?

So, it's similar to the "Like" function on FB? I think I understand the voting option now. Thanks Marius G.

You will see at the right top the word, " vote" that simply means you found someone's response , answer or comment fitting the situation, inquiry, or comment. It means you like the response posted by someone so you give them a vote. If you like someone's input, contribution or level of knowledge you will want to follow them, perhaps you feel you can learn more from them. If you send a colleague request to someone it means you have a reason to get in contact with them for whatever that reason might be. 

Thank you, Gilbert Dominguez. Your response was very helpful. Can I ask one more question...what is quote function?

The quotes are only to augment a word so you pay more attention to it. I find it helps people focus on the word as a subject. 

Originally posted by @Nicholas Sutton :

Thank you, Gilbert Dominguez. Your response was very helpful. Can I ask one more question...what is quote function?

I think the "quote" function is more for when you want to respond to something specific that someone said.  For example if someone in the thread said something you agree or disagree with or want to respond to, you could quote their post and write a response (see what I did here?)  :)

The "vote" function is for a post that you like for any reason. It could have been helpful, sarcastic, funny, or simply because you were bored and had nothing better to do:) As for the quote function you can use that and then respond specifically about that post. The "follow" allows you to follow someone whom you like their posts, or possibly because you feel their posts contribute to something you have an interest in. I am waiting to see if BP comes up with a "thumbs down" post vote:) I am sure I will get a few of those especially on my posts about "wholesalers":)

John Thedford, Real Estate Agent in FL (#BK3098153)
Originally posted by @Gilbert Dominguez :

The quotes are only to augment a word so you pay more attention to it. I find it helps people focus on the word as a subject. 

Thanks Gilbert I also wondered what that was and how people were replying as though it were an email. :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you