• Real Estate Agent/Property Management
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Why can't I recommend myself?

Fred Heller
  • Real Estate Agent/Property Management
  • Houston, TX
Posted Aug 15 2015, 22:03

OK so this is kind of a pet peeve of mine.

I frequently see posts that say "I'm looking for _________ in __________." These posts inevitably include a moderator comment that says "Recommendations only. Do not offer your own services."

So I can recommend my competition but I can't recommend myself? On what planet does that work?

I totally understand the "no pitch" rule and I try very carefully to abide by it. I actually appreciate it because I understand that all of our inboxes would be filled with hundreds of messages if it didn't exist.

But, if someone posts that they are seeking a service in my area that I provide, I can't understand why it's such an egregious thing for me to raise my hand and say "hey I do that."

I joined BP and pay for the Pro membership because I want to learn, and I want to network. And a big part of networking is the hope that I can generate some business. If I can't offer my services to someone who specifically states that they are looking for my services, then I have to wonder why I'm spending my money on this. 

The only place where we can pitch deals is in the marketplace section. If offering our services in the general forums is such a big deal, perhaps you should consider creating a "services wanted" sub-forum in the marketplace where we would be free to wheel and deal. And then restrict all posts of that nature to that forum.

Loading replies...