Landlord Forms Survey

27 Replies

Hello, BiggerPocketeers!

As we move into this Memorial Day Weekend, I'd like your opinion. 

We are trying to see if anyone would be interested in state-specific landlord forms (i.e. lease agreement, estoppel agreement, rental application, pet addendums, etc.).

Can you please fill out this  30 second survey so we can gauge interest to see if providing amazing forms would be helpful to everyone!

Thank you!!!

Medium fbprofileMindy Jensen, BiggerPockets | [email protected] | https://www.biggerpockets.com | CO Agent # FA100049656 | Podcast Guest on Show #129

This is a great idea if you can make it work. I wouldn't necessarily need many of them as I stay pretty current with my documents but I think a lot of newbies would embark on their landlord journey a lot stronger if they were armed with the right documents and not just some generic (and possibly illegal or ineffective ones) they found elsewhere online.

Medium final25pctRyan Murdock, Lighthouse Asset Management LLC | [email protected] | http://www.lighthouseam.com | ME Agent # BA915543 | Podcast Guest on Show #234

I would if I didn't have to sign in to my Google account to fill out the survey.

Need  to PREVIEW anything I would like to purchase - - blind pig-n-in-poke?

Not a bad idea but as these things can change down to the county and even municipality level, it may be fairly hit and miss and possibly unintentionally misleading if someone sees something at the state level and does not realize they need a city version.

@Oren K. Here in the US of A most forms are state specific.

don't mind purchasing per se, but need some means to review before I buy a pig-n-a-poke :grin:

@Mindy Jensen - have you considered instead of drafting your own documents just making a directory of the best ones in each state? I know in Wisconsin there are three main places that do them right.

As a lawyer, I fully support sharing of forms! Please do so! BUT… also tell users about the risks and limitations of using forms in a way they get it, and not merely a standard “this is not legal advice” disclaimer.

To date, there is simply no better way to use forms than with guidance of a lawyer. (This will change with technology, but we’re not there yet.) It sounds self-serving, and it is. But it’s also fact! Thus I see forms downloading as a great first step to learn -not a substitute for legal advice.

For this reason, I suggest the best way for BP to provide such a service is NOT providing one model form per state. Rather, post a downloadable package of at least 3-5 possible variations on the same form and encourage people to compare/contrast versions so they know what they want. I fully expect most people will pick one and run with it without a lawyer. But at least you’re doing your duty by providing what they need to see, which is that there is no such thing as a “standard” form where one-size-fits-all.

Heidi Pliam JD | 612‑888‑0998 | http://REILawyer.com

It looks like you fixed the need to have a google account to take the survey also.  It just worked for me.

@Mindy Jensen , I didn't take the survey because (a) I'm already a Pro user and (b) I've already designed all my own forms and have no need for this option. However, I think this would be a great service for new investors just starting out so count me as a supporter.

A couple recommendations:

1. What are the risks? If a Landlord in Illinois uses your lease agreement and it doesn't hold up in court, are you at risk of being sued? Will each document include a waiver of liability, "use at your own risk" clause, or advice to get local attorney approval?
  2. Pricing should vary based on size/scope of the document. An estoppel agreement is pretty basic with little legal risk and it's easy to find examples online. A lease agreement or emotional support animal policy is much more complicated and risky. Maybe consider a graduated pricing plan of $5 for a basic form or letter and a higher price of $30 - $40 for a state-specific lease agreement.
  3. Consider packaged pricing. There is a company called Landlord Source that sells forms and documents for professional management companies. I bought their package many years ago and it saved me hundreds of hours and provided forms that I hadn't even thought of yet. A package of 150 property management forms costs $130 and everything can be fully edited by the user.

Medium copy of logo 03 aw sqr clrNathan G., American West Realty & Management | [email protected] | (307) 587‑9608 | http://www.rentcody.com | WY Agent # 12499

About 50 web companies already offer forms they also claim are "amazing".

Yes but IMO - Already Exists - Landlord Protection Agency website.

Definitely would be an addition. Found other sides that do the same and charge a fee, would be more convenient if it was all available at BP

bp is great of course but it can't and shouldn't replace everyone of us being a member of at least one local REIA. initially join them all and sort it down to just the Orgs with experienced investors who are open to sharing helps including forms. I give mine out at my reia all the time.

Curt Smith, Sweetgum Properties | [email protected] | 678‑948‑7151 | http://GaREIA.com

In California, there are already several forms and agreements created by the state's realtor association.  Non-realtors can buy them from their site apparently (I'm a realtor so I get them as part of my state dues).

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you