Zeona McIntyre Show 229 - Retirement Through Short Term Rentals

Zeona McIntyre Show 229 - Retirement Through Short Term Rentals

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes

In today's excellent episode of The BiggerPockets Podcast, Zeona McIntyre shares how her investments in short term rentals - some local and some long distance - have provided her with enough income to retire early and travel the world.

She has some great tips for furnishing your rental inexpensively, how to price it properly, and how to get a maximum number of listings.

Download today or listen here .

16Reply
395 views

Most Popular Reply

San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 22 votes
9y

Am I the only one that took serious issue with this podcast? @biggerpockets putting out to its members to violate the rental agreements they sign and turn someone's investment into a hotel without their knowledge? She says herself she lived in fear of getting caught. It doesn't mention what should have happened to her when she did get caught, which should have been an eviction, loss of her deposit and in most states a large chunk of the remaining rent still owed.

As a real estate investor what's the point of screening tenets or saying its such an important step if the tenet will then run a business of letting un-vetted people with no ties to my property stay there? Another thought struck me. Without a contract with the actual property owner the people she is illegally renting to could be considered trespassing.

Disclosure: I could only listen to 20 minutes before it pissed me off and I shut it down.

See this reply in the discussion

81 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Craig CurelopBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Loved this one!! Great job!!
  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    Just what I was looking for!
  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 791 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Listening to it now.  One of my favorite quotes on "Luck" was from Chris Sacca: 

    "I may have been lucky, but it wasn't by accident"

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    This is one I have been waiting on. 

  • Rich V.Pro Member
    Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 81 posts · 45 votes
    9y

    This was awesome. One of my favorites so far. Keep it up guys and keep changing lives!

  • Rental Property Investor · Tomball, TX · Member since 2013 · 134 posts · 43 votes
    9y
    Really great stuff!
  • Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    I listened to it earlier, but am unable to listen at the moment. What was the name of the services she referenced to track pricing/bookings?

  • Real Estate Agent · Chantilly, VA · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 61 votes
    9y
    Loved this one!
  • Vendor · Norwood, MN · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    Inspired!!

    This greatly appeals to me, more so than the long term rental scenario. I would think that location would play a much larger roll in rental incomes for Airbnb, thoughts?

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 108 votes
    9y

    Did anyone else notice that Brandon now calls himself the host and the other people guest Co-hosts? Before he always used to call them guest hosts and he remained the co-host. Does this mean the Josh is stepping away from the podcast on a permanent basis?

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    @Christopher Meis yes, location definitely plays a role. For instanace, I reside in Norfolk, VA and when I look at the Airbnb map I only see rentals near the beach and downtown. In Hampton, I see rentals predominately near the beach. In my area it seems to be based on the areas of main attraction.

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 66 posts · 27 votes
    9y
    Brett Jones it was everbooked and beyond pricing
  • Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2016 · 706 posts · 611 votes
    9y

    I've been doing Airbnb for the past 6 months but I learned so much from listening to this episode. I wrote out a few new RE goals after listening!

  • Conway, SC · Member since 2012 · 114 posts · 44 votes
    9y

    I enjoyed this podcast, Zeona is energetic and lively, loved her aspect of the investing journey and how she started out with a PML/Friend. I want at least one Airbnb property since we are close to the beach, I think it will do well. Thanks Bigger Pockets!

  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Mindy Jensen

    That was a really good show. It actually gave me a great business idea. It had never occurred to me that there was a such thing as a "co-host" for AirBnB listings that handles all of the operations for some of the properties.

    I am curious if these co-hosts have to be licensed like a traditional property manager? If not, I could probably easily launch into this space and manage AirBnB listings for other people for extra money.

  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Well I just spent 15 minutes signing up for AirBnB only to find out that co hosting isn't available yet in my community. My business plan is out the window. However I think there is still the opportunity to list my services on sites like Craigslist in the local area.

  • Mount Laurel, NJ · Member since 2012 · 125 posts · 36 votes
    9y

    Great podcast!  This has opened my eyes to opportunities in the Phila area as well as outside the Phila area.

    Thanks again!

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Question: Are you all hosting your personal investment properties, OR are you hosting properties that you rent? In the beginning of the episode, Zeona shared that that was her strategy a few years back. 

  • Phoenix Arizona · Member since 2017 · 65 posts · 70 votes
    9y
    I went looking for more information on Air B&B and wasn't able to find anything thing until this podcast! Thanks for bringing her on!
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    Am I the only one that took serious issue with this podcast? @biggerpockets putting out to its members to violate the rental agreements they sign and turn someone's investment into a hotel without their knowledge? She says herself she lived in fear of getting caught. It doesn't mention what should have happened to her when she did get caught, which should have been an eviction, loss of her deposit and in most states a large chunk of the remaining rent still owed.

    As a real estate investor what's the point of screening tenets or saying its such an important step if the tenet will then run a business of letting un-vetted people with no ties to my property stay there? Another thought struck me. Without a contract with the actual property owner the people she is illegally renting to could be considered trespassing.

    Disclosure: I could only listen to 20 minutes before it pissed me off and I shut it down.

  • Jackson , MS · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    Have never seen her or heard of her before this, but I think I'm in love......

  • Investor · Murfreesboro, TN · Member since 2013 · 430 posts · 178 votes
    9y
    Great show! A ton of value as always. Definitely going to try to AirBnB my house when I'm away in September and December
  • Investor · Provo, UT · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 18 votes
    9y
    JASON Yahner I also did not appreciate the aspect of doing short term rentals on properties you don't own without the owner knowing. You can get in a lot of legal trouble doing that and it's just a really poor idea for many reasons besides being dishonest and unethical. I think Joshua Dorkin would not have condoned that part of the conversation if he was hosting. That said, I have a new vacation rental myself and learned a lot.
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 273 posts · 217 votes
    9y

    @Toby Johnston @Jason Yahner You guys are totally right, I'm sure I would be pissed if I found out one of my renters was subleasing out. At the same time, there is an opportunity for a new clause in your rental agreement (a nice cut of the profits?) so everything can be looked at in a few different ways. Sometimes rules have to be broken by trailblazers  and new solutions found. Which is exactly how Airbnb came to be. 

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 210 votes
    9y

    My sister had that happened to her in one of her million dollar properties in Tokyo Japan. A woman rented from her and then started leasing it out via AirBNB. She was upset to say the least when she found out about it. It really put her in a bad position as it was in violation of the building / HOA code not to mention city regulations. Also there is the issue of guest liability as she was not protected under this type of arrangement in case someone is injured. If you are going to do this do it the right way, get your own property or have the owner agree to it beforehand.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.