Forum Suggestion

18 Replies

Because this forum is business relates, I believe there should be a strict no URL in posts policy to maintain / ensure integrity. URLs can be given via PM or viewed in profile. I've only recently discovered BP and and so far love it, but too often come accross posts of dubious intention.

Thanks!

Hey Sean - We've toyed with the idea, and I wonder how others feel about this idea. We have a strict one link policy for signatures, but if there is a consensus that we should do without letting people post their sites, let me know and we can change the policy.

BTW - Thanks for the suggestion

Sincerely,

I am not sure if I agree with the "no URL in any message" suggestion. I use URLs quite liberally in my posts if I think the URL will help expand on my point. For example I can talk about Mortgage Fraud without having to explain what Mortgage Fraud means. Instead I can focus on presenting my opinion, e.g. "be aware of any transaction where the seller is giving cash or other benefits to the buyer of the property."

I thinkk the suggestion was to eliminate the use of links in signatures because people will register and post once or twice or more just to get people to come and visit their websites. . . .

Actually I think there should be no URL's at all - sigs or otherwise.

I am not sure if I agree with the "no URL in any message" suggestion. I use URLs quite liberally in my posts if I think the URL will help expand on my point. For example I can talk about Mortgage Fraud without having to explain what Mortgage Fraud means.

Well, moderators would still be able to exercise discretion. Google searches and wiki links would generally be fine, I would assume.

All forums have to deal with spammers, obviously - but IMO forums that are business related, such as this one, have to have stricter policies to maintain user trust. If this were a forum on puppies and kittens, I wouldn't be posting this...

To Administrators-

Is there any changes I need to make in my web browser? I find myself often hitting the refresh button to get the entire page to show up correctly. Sometimes half the page will load and then abruptly stop. I know it must not be a site issue otherwise I would see more comments about it. I don't have this problem with any other sites. I was thinking maybe I need to adjust IE's settings or something. Then something strange happen...other day I Searched for Bigger Pockets because I forgot to bookmark it and when I clicked your link it in yahoo...it redirected me to some wacky search site.....

skelly022782,

I'd guess that you have some spyware on your machine, given that you are using IE and by the redirection to a spammy search site. Have you ever tried Firefox as your webbrowser? Google "Firefox" if you're interested. Do you run any anti spyware utilities (adaware, spybot and even some of the online virus scanners have built in spyware detection now I believe).

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried both IE and Firefox. For spyware protection, I have Spybot and windows defender. Antivirus= AVG. That redirection to a spammy search site happens with both browsers unfortunately. I suspected the same problem but I can't figure out a way to fix it. It seems like the official word for this is browser hijack. I have no idea how to fix it. it's bogging down my internet and making it slow. =(

Any suggestions...?

I am going to invite you to think outside the box on this one.

If there isn't a problem with the site (and I don't *think* there is) then yes you're probably right that it's a browser issue. So rather than trying to ask real estate people about browser problems, why not talk to some browser people?

Mozilla
Internet Explorer

FWIW I use Firefox and I don't have problems (other than the servers occassionally being overloaded by the strain of people trying to access the content here :mrgreen: )

We test the site in most browsers and it is optimized for all the main ones - IE, Firefox, Opera, etc. As for having problems, there is the occasional strain on our servers, as we've seen wonderful growth with the site. We will soon be upgrading our equipment to eliminate these issues.

As for 1/2 a page showing and the rest being on top of that it actually does happen once in a while because of load issues. If it happens, just reload the page. As I said before, we should have this all taken care of soon!

Thank you for your comments and thoughts.

I like the links to members sites for I learn a lot, but I do check it out first to see if it is even relevent. If you want to make sure it is a ligit member, just click on profile & see how many posts they have made...if less than 5, then use causion, if more than 5 then check it out!

We are all adults here, use some discretion & lets quit blamming the Admins for other peoples posts...I mean, how many members are on this site? 3000!!!!! Come on guys, lets take some responsibility for our OWN actions here!!

Sorry if I offend but I feel that some people just feel they need a scape goat! I really do mean well, but we are no longer in elementary...we need to take responsibility for our own doings and quit blaming the awesome Admins! Especially cause they don't HAVE to share their RE info for free...they could be charging us a monthly fee and we would pay it cause it is WAY less than coaching!!!!!

I am done venting now...Denise 8)

Originally posted by "Sean9000":
Well, moderators would still be able to exercise discretion. Google searches and wiki links would generally be fine, I would assume.

All forums have to deal with spammers, obviously - but IMO forums that are business related, such as this one, have to have stricter policies to maintain user trust. If this were a forum on puppies and kittens, I wouldn't be posting this...

Sorry if I took this wrong Sean9000. To me it sounds like you are stating that the Admin/Moderators should be in more control over this. Please excuse me if I took that out of context...and it is not just your post, I just exploded at this one, but there have been other "similar" posts implying (in my opinion) that the Admin/Moderator(s) need to "babysit" each post. I just want to make it clear that we are all adults here and to please take responsibility for our own actions....Thanks - Denise :D

For protection from spyware, I'd switch to Firefox immediately. It is muh more effective in protecting your computer. As for virus protection, if you want a great FREE product, I'd look at http://www.activevirusshield.com - It is AOL's Active Virus Shield. Free product uses Kaspersky anti virus as its engine. It rates at the top of the scales and crushes AVG in effectiveness.

Sorry if I took this wrong Sean9000. To me it sounds like you are stating that the Admin/Moderators should be in more control over this. Please excuse me if I took that out of context...and it is not just your post, I just exploded at this one, but there have been other "similar" posts implying (in my opinion) that the Admin/Moderator(s) need to "babysit" each post. I just want to make it clear that we are all adults here and to please take responsibility for our own actions....Thanks - Denise :D

Well first of all I want to make it clear that I wasn't implying that the admins here were doing anything less that stellar work. I was simply suggesting a policy change that would help maintain the integrity of the forum as a whole. The admins can run the site as they see fit, but in my opinion selflinks and/or subtle spam reduce value.

Unfortunately babysitting is a way of life in a lot of forums on the net as without it, spammers prosper.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here