How much to retire, can you stop?

8 Replies

Hi all,

Just curious can you retire with 10k of month passive income or you can't stop?

I kind of feel restless recently , is like real estate in my blood I just want more. Is scary. I am telling myself to take rest and take break but doesn't work !

Am I the only one feel this way?

I can't stop and smell the rose. My mind is always thinking about real estate, if we go out to a new place to have fun and started use Zillow on my phone check the local pricing and rent. It just started going out of hand .

How do you control yourself and enjoy the life without thinking about real estate?

@Liz C. , great problem to have.  Perhaps because real estate did so much for you that it caused you to love it.  Why is it bad to do something you love?  What better way to spend your time.  Not everyone can sit on the beach for 3 weeks sipping a drink and sunbathing.  Some of us have to do more.  If you don't need the extra money you make give it to a charity that makes you feel good.  Buy gifts for kids on the angel tree for Christmas, or go the SHriner's Hospital and find a family struggling to get by as their child faces surgery for cancer or a tumor and help them out.  Give to the Make a Wish Foundation to help a terminal child's dream come true.  We can do what we love and do more for others at the same time.

Originally posted by @Liz C. :

Hi all,

Just curious can you retire with 10k of month passive income or you can't stop?

I kind of feel restless recently , is like real estate in my blood I just want more. Is scary. I am telling myself to take rest and take break but doesn't work !

Am I the only one feel this way?

I can't stop and smell the rose. My mind is always thinking about real estate, if we go out to a new place to have fun and started use Zillow on my phone check the local pricing and rent. It just started going out of hand .

How do you control yourself and enjoy the life without thinking about real estate?

100% agree

Would rather work than do just about anything else

I like it much better than going on vacation

Great question! Great insight!  We are so focused on climbing, working to reach the Peak, once we arrive, we did not have foresight to ask what next?

Age will help reduce the struggle, because time and freedom of place, mobility, will be of more value than just cash flow

It is still difficult though!  There is a art to making money and a art to enjoying the fruits of it

Research has shown that wealthy people never feel they have enough. It is a obsession and like any other and is unhealthy regardless of whether you enjoy it or not.

Set a goal of paying off all personal debt (personal home etc.) prior to retirement and all you should need is to replace 70% of your employment income or self employment income.

Whether you are a employee or self employed to be able to retire and live a long life you must have interests to fill your life beyond work/ investing. If you do not you will have no retirement possibility. Whether you feel continuing to invest is exciting or not if you are unable to separate yourself and find other interests you will never be able to retire. You will work till you die. 

Personally I have enough activities and hobby/interests to fill many life times and rarely think about investing further. Once I reached a income level required to support my retirement I quit cold turkey to peruse pleasurable interests. My income properties now interfere with my personal/retirement life and will soon be sold to put the money into passive income vehicles.

Work is work regardless of whether you enjoy it or not.

@Liz C. Do what you love.  If that means you are still searching for deals, then by all means, keep doing it.  However, I would slow it down enough to also pursue other interests.  If you don't have other interests, start trying things out to see if you have some other passions you didn't even know about.  I love real estate, and I don't think I'll ever be out of the business, but I can definitely see my self not working some parts of my business as I get into retirement.  I may even grow other parts of my business in "retirement".  There is no right answer.  Do what makes you happy if you can afford it  :)

I am going to disagree respectfully that rich people never think they have enough.  In order to move yourself up in the world it takes discipline.  Over time the being careful what you spend, and doing things in ways that produce income become habit.  If you have been careful with money and invested wisely for 20, 30, or even 40 years that will not disappear over night.  Making sure you take in more than you spend almost becomes your mantra, those good habits can be as hard to break as bad habits, and when you think about it, why break a good habit.

Thank you all for your reply, I do think doing what you love is retirement already.

Lol , but I think I got a addiction for real estate

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here