@Mindy Jensen I totally agree that someone under 18 should be free to learn. I wouldn't block them from the site, but I am just not sure BP has safe guards in place to protect minors on this forum. I don't think it is a good idea for minors to be private messaging random adults or meeting up with them. My recommendation is to require a birth date when registering and disable private messaging on any minor. Anything that is being discussed with minors should be in the public forum.
The second issue I see is giving advice to minors. There is something such as reckless advice. It is one thing if an adult receives bad advice, but it is totally different when minor is involved. For example, telling children not to go to college. A child doesn't know how to process that, because they believe a successful person is telling them that. That may not be the case. I know someone used the example of Rich Dad, but that is totally different. That is someone that your parents know and is a real person in real life. Random people on the internet cannot be trusted in the same manner.
It would be best to block minors from posting, so they would have read only access. If you do allow posts, then admin should be reading every post and deleting any inappropriate advice. The standard for inappropriate to minors is higher than it is to adults. A 14 year old does not have the same reasoning skills as an 18 year old. Laws have clearly established that as fact. There is a reason someone under the age of 18 can't sign a contract.
My third recommendation is to add a "Report Abuse" link at the bottom of every page. This isn't just to report abuse involving minors but also to report scammers and trolls.
These recommendations are to protect BP as much as it is to protect users.
That's a tough one, I'm sure there are a few 16 or 17 years olds out there that are pretty intelligent and can hold a conversation about real estate and ask good questions and just want to learn. If we do an age limit, then we should also put an IQ limit out there so we don't have to talk with people who waste our time with nonsense. Kidding, hahaha........
@Raul R. , I hear what you're saying. For most kids, real estate is not an option until they turn 18 - they don't have anyone who will cosign on the contract with them. But that doesn't mean they can't learn until they turn 18.
I can only imagine how my life would be different if I had a site like BiggerPockets when I was under 18. I would own a lot more properties, for sure. Hopefully I would not be Valedictorian of my class at The School of Hard Knocks.
@Raul R. I follow your train of logic. I personally don’t think anyone should be allowed to comment unless they own at least 4 properties, have done 6 or more deals, and use their full name found on a government issued ID. I also like @Andy W. comment about needing to pass an IQ test, but since he didn’t use his whole name on his profile I have just discredited his opinion.
@Raul R. I follow your train of logic. I personally don’t think anyone should be allowed to comment unless they own at least 4 properties, have done 6 or more deals, and use their full name found on a government issued ID. I also like @Andy W. comment about needing to pass an IQ test, but since he didn’t use his whole name on his profile I have just discredited his opinion.
While I meet all of your criteria, I think it would be counterproductive to impose such rules when this site is targeted towards those who are beginners.
As for mentoring young investors, I have no problem with it in certain situations. For example the "Rich Dad Poor Dad" type of situation. Another one that I support is a part-time job. I got my first job at 14-years-old and learned a lot.
@Anthony Gayden read @Raul R.profile for clues into my previous post.
@Mindy Jensen I totally agree that someone under 18 should be free to learn. I wouldn't block them from the site, but I am just not sure BP has safe guards in place to protect minors on this forum. I don't think it is a good idea for minors to be private messaging random adults or meeting up with them. My recommendation is to require a birth date when registering and disable private messaging on any minor. Anything that is being discussed with minors should be in the public forum.
The second issue I see is giving advice to minors. There is something such as reckless advice. It is one thing if an adult receives bad advice, but it is totally different when minor is involved. For example, telling children not to go to college. A child doesn't know how to process that, because they believe a successful person is telling them that. That may not be the case. I know someone used the example of Rich Dad, but that is totally different. That is someone that your parents know and is a real person in real life. Random people on the internet cannot be trusted in the same manner.
It would be best to block minors from posting, so they would have read only access. If you do allow posts, then admin should be reading every post and deleting any inappropriate advice. The standard for inappropriate to minors is higher than it is to adults. A 14 year old does not have the same reasoning skills as an 18 year old. Laws have clearly established that as fact. There is a reason someone under the age of 18 can't sign a contract.
My third recommendation is to add a "Report Abuse" link at the bottom of every page. This isn't just to report abuse involving minors but also to report scammers and trolls.
These recommendations are to protect BP as much as it is to protect users.
@Mindy Jensen I totally agree that someone under 18 should be free to learn. I wouldn't block them from the site, but I am just not sure BP has safe guards in place to protect minors on this forum. I don't think it is a good idea for minors to be private messaging random adults or meeting up with them. My recommendation is to require a birth date when registering and disable private messaging on any minor. Anything that is being discussed with minors should be in the public forum.
The second issue I see is giving advice to minors. There is something such as reckless advice. It is one thing if an adult receives bad advice, but it is totally different when minor is involved. For example, telling children not to go to college. A child doesn't know how to process that, because they believe a successful person is telling them that. That may not be the case. I know someone used the example of Rich Dad, but that is totally different. That is someone that your parents know and is a real person in real life. Random people on the internet cannot be trusted in the same manner.
It would be best to block minors from posting, so they would have read only access. If you do allow posts, then admin should be reading every post and deleting any inappropriate advice. The standard for inappropriate to minors is higher than it is to adults. A 14 year old does not have the same reasoning skills as an 18 year old. Laws have clearly established that as fact. There is a reason someone under the age of 18 can't sign a contract.
My third recommendation is to add a "Report Abuse" link at the bottom of every page. This isn't just to report abuse involving minors but also to report scammers and trolls.
These recommendations are to protect BP as much as it is to protect users.
I like the "Report Abuse" link (though that's in the little dotted menu to the right) at the bottom, as it makes it easy - well, maybe not easy for the moderators! One thing I have noticed is an uptick in the number of trollers on the site. It might make sense to have stronger barriers to discourage this type of behavior, as there is a poster in particular that has been on here over the last month+ harassing many of the women posters, and every time he gets banned he's back the next day (or that day) with a new pseudonym. I know some sites prevent posts until you've been a member for so many days, or prevent you from starting your own thread until you hit a certain post count, or prevent you from commenting on other threads until you hit post or like thresholds - not sure if some or any of these are appropriate, but when a site becomes as popular as BP it is bound to attract some of the dregs of society, and it can only help the site and the rest of us if some of these people are flushed.
My $0.02 ...
Our children are so indoctrinated in the consumer / employee mentality by their own home life and the world around them that is seems only natural for the more astute among them to seek sites like this where they can learn about "the world 'out there'", "the real world", etc.
Our schools are woefully lacking in financial education as compared to countries in Europe and other nations in other places. To have them here may seem more inappropriate than it is.
It is said that if you hang out with four "broke" people you'll likely be the fifth. It stands to reason that if you hang out with four affluent, financially astute people you'll likely be the fifth.
@Mindy Jensen I totally agree that someone under 18 should be free to learn. I wouldn't block them from the site, but I am just not sure BP has safe guards in place to protect minors on this forum. I don't think it is a good idea for minors to be private messaging random adults or meeting up with them. My recommendation is to require a birth date when registering and disable private messaging on any minor. Anything that is being discussed with minors should be in the public forum.
The second issue I see is giving advice to minors. There is something such as reckless advice. It is one thing if an adult receives bad advice, but it is totally different when minor is involved. For example, telling children not to go to college. A child doesn't know how to process that, because they believe a successful person is telling them that. That may not be the case. I know someone used the example of Rich Dad, but that is totally different. That is someone that your parents know and is a real person in real life. Random people on the internet cannot be trusted in the same manner.
It would be best to block minors from posting, so they would have read only access. If you do allow posts, then admin should be reading every post and deleting any inappropriate advice. The standard for inappropriate to minors is higher than it is to adults. A 14 year old does not have the same reasoning skills as an 18 year old. Laws have clearly established that as fact. There is a reason someone under the age of 18 can't sign a contract.
My third recommendation is to add a "Report Abuse" link at the bottom of every page. This isn't just to report abuse involving minors but also to report scammers and trolls.
These recommendations are to protect BP as much as it is to protect users.
I like the "Report Abuse" link (though that's in the little dotted menu to the right) at the bottom, as it makes it easy - well, maybe not easy for the moderators! One thing I have noticed is an uptick in the number of trollers on the site. It might make sense to have stronger barriers to discourage this type of behavior, as there is a poster in particular that has been on here over the last month+ harassing many of the women posters, and every time he gets banned he's back the next day (or that day) with a new pseudonym. I know some sites prevent posts until you've been a member for so many days, or prevent you from starting your own thread until you hit a certain post count, or prevent you from commenting on other threads until you hit post or like thresholds - not sure if some or any of these are appropriate, but when a site becomes as popular as BP it is bound to attract some of the dregs of society, and it can only help the site and the rest of us if some of these people are flushed.
That is a great suggestion. I am also on other forums that require a mod to review your first few posts. The forum says "your post will show up after it has been reviewed by a moderator". It was frustrating when I first joined, but it keeps the trolls from dropping and running.
Please excuse my sarcasm everyone. The point I was making by saying that people shouldn’t be allowed to comment unless they have four properties, have done six or more deals, and use their first and last legal name was to point out that the original poster would not qualify to make this post. By saying that, I am trying to point out that people may come up with whatever reason they want to exclude others.
Out of anyone on this site, I would say that I understand the importance of safety when it comes to children. In my work I have worked with several individuals who have gone through abuse. however, I also understand the message that we send to children when we shelter them from having experiences where they get to interact with and learn from others.
The bottom line is parents should know what their kids are doing online and at the same time parents should support kids in reaching out for knowledge and gaining experience in the things that their kids are interested in and they should watch over their kids in the process.
The idea of excluding someone from interacting with others on an intelligent level as they seek to learn and understand because they are not “old enough” is rediculous to me. It’s agism. It’s like saying we should also limit newbies that are over the age of 80 because they don’t have much time left and we don’t want them to be taken advantage of where someone could swindle them out of their money. In an attempt to protect we may inadvertently be limiting the opportunities or rights for others.
How bout a separate section for 18 and under, where adult members can mentor n teach the under 18.
Interesting!
Bottom line, I think it is great to encourage young people to get a head start in the world financially as much as we can.
Note that you must be at least 13 years old to have our permission to use this Site. This is in accordance with our privacy policy - www.biggerpockets.com/privacy.
I would hope that teens aged 13-18 have a more productive experience, which gives them better odds for future success, here on BiggerPockets than perhaps on other online communities unrelated to personal success, personal development, or personal finance, sites which may not provide such direct learning opportunities to become successful with money and in real estate!
Sadly, I do not believe that we will have an overabundance of eager young people excited about building private wealth and passive cash flow on the forums anytime soon, however. I'd consider this one of those "good problems" to have. Maybe one day!
I think for many it takes a solid jolt of real world, "well, I guess I'll be in this cubicle for the next 40 years, paying my bills unless I do something about it!" to get people the motivation they need to begin earnestly learning personal finance.
@Raul R. - Coming from someone who learned about BiggerPockets at 16 and having been involved for almost five years with the site, I'm going to say that had it not been for BiggerPockets I would not be as successful or involved with the real estate industry as I am now. From reading blog posts, connecting with investors, or listening to podcasts, BiggerPockets helped me build the foundation of my real estate investing knowledge and help me grow into other resources where I could continue to expand. From when I joined the site to now, I have gone from an inexperienced high school student who read a few books on real estate, to a full-time commercial real estate agent. @Ann Bellamy was one of the first contacts I made on this site, and she recommended I attend a local REIA meeting to meet people and learn more about investing... fast forward to now and I'm starting my second term as the vice-president of the same 100+ person REIA. Without meeting people like her or the countless other connections I have, I might have never developed such a strong interest or come as far as I have in my career.
I would 100% be against a minimum age for the site. If a minor has their parent's permission to access the Internet and their parent trusts them on a site dedicated to learning about real estate investing, I am all for allowing people under 18 to learn from BiggerPockets. It has helped me grow into a great career and within the next six months, my first investment property.
My two cents.
@Anthony Gayden
Just curious you think Rich Dad would have mentor Robert Kiyosaki if he wasn’t best friend with his son?
I don’t think he would...
My point was simply that I wouldn't mind a mentoring situation if it was a young person that you may personally know or have some sort of connection with rather than a young person mentoring some random person.
Please excuse my sarcasm everyone. The point I was making by saying that people shouldn’t be allowed to comment unless they have four properties, have done six or more deals, and use their first and last legal name was to point out that the original poster would not qualify to make this post. By saying that, I am trying to point out that people may come up with whatever reason they want to exclude others.
Out of anyone on this site, I would say that I understand the importance of safety when it comes to children. In my work I have worked with several individuals who have gone through abuse. however, I also understand the message that we send to children when we shelter them from having experiences where they get to interact with and learn from others.
The bottom line is parents should know what their kids are doing online and at the same time parents should support kids in reaching out for knowledge and gaining experience in the things that their kids are interested in and they should watch over their kids in the process.
The idea of excluding someone from interacting with others on an intelligent level as they seek to learn and understand because they are not “old enough” is rediculous to me. It’s agism. It’s like saying we should also limit newbies that are over the age of 80 because they don’t have much time left and we don’t want them to be taken advantage of where someone could swindle them out of their money. In an attempt to protect we may inadvertently be limiting the opportunities or rights for others.
Is it ridiculous to you that someone under the age of 18 can't choose to smoke cigarettes, doesn't have the right to vote or sign contracts? How about someone under 21 having a credit card or drinking alcohol? Is this ageism?
Protecting minors is not ageism. Society has decided that people under 18 in general lack the maturity to make certain choices in a responsible manner, so we protect them. In fact when it comes to credit cards and alcohol, the age of responsibility is 21.
If you want to mentor the youth, use programs specifically designed for that. Those programs require background checks. BP doesn't verify anything - not even identity.
Nobody is saying children can't learn or understand, but how children interact with adults should be different than how adults interact. They need a safe environment to explore and learn responsibly.
Buffet had a 40 acre farm that he leased to a share cropper while he went to high school. Stop getting butt-hurt guys, what that kid is doing is good.
@Sam Josh, it wasn't that he asked Rockefeller a question that caused him angst. It's when the shoe shiner tried to give Rockefeller a stock tip that he liquidated.
Questions aren't the problem. Inexperienced advice is. And at least our youngest members are too young to act on it legally. I worry more for the "of age" investors who can stroke checks that haunt them for life because they didn't learn it when they were young.