pre approval prior to showing?

4 Replies

I have about 75 doors about 85% SF. looking at making a purchase of 95 more doors with 90% being multi units. I was curious on how everyone does the viewing process of a vacant property? do you make potential tenant fill out an application prior or show house first. I have always shown house first but I would say majority of the time if I would have seen their app I would have known if it was a waste of time or not.... i.e. someone making $1k a month, I am not letting rent a $600 house. what is your process?

@Tami R. I do a little prescreening by email or phone first.  I don't really ask them the questions so much as just let them know what the qualifications are and that we are sticklers for meeting the minimums - 650 credit score, 3x monthly rent in income, no previous evictions, no felonies, etc.

When I speak with someone on the phone I rattle off my requirements (e.g., income 3X rent, no felonies in the last five years, verifiable employment and previous residence, etc., etc.) and then ask "will any of that be a problem?"

We kinda do that too... but I know a couple real estate management company's that are having the people fill out a pre-application.  The last couple years I have thought what jerks.... now I am thinking what is my time worth.  Usually within 1 minute (not to prejudge but yes) I can say if it's going to work or not... sometimes they surprise me.  I check Facebook out right away and then go from there... and sometimes I just don't even show based on "how they live their life on FB"

I've got 20 simple questions I send over prior to a showing. Then I try to show a few groups at once like an open house. If they make it that far, then I'll do an online app. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.