Advice on college education?

3 Replies

Hello all, I’m going to be in college next year and I’m trying to decide what I want to major in. My goals as a real estate investor is to create wealth by flipping SFH. I am stuck between majoring in: -Business -Finance -Construction I feel like these will benefit me the most in my upcoming years as a real estate investor. Thanks, John

Personally, I think any of these would be a great way to jump in. Are you interested in future development or more crunching numbers? If you are looking to do future development consider construction, but if you are more interested in learning the ROI for properties finance will help you cover basics. You could always major in something like finance and then intern with a construction company during college. That way you get a bit of both. Hope this helps!

Originally posted by @John Halverson :
Hello all,

I'm going to be in college next year and I'm trying to decide what I want to major in. My goals as a real estate investor is to create wealth by flipping SFH. I am stuck between majoring in:

-Business -Finance -Construction

I feel like these will benefit me the most in my upcoming years as a real estate investor.

Thanks, John

Hi John - I find this to be an insanely difficult question to answer. It sounds like you want to be an investor and your goal is to bounce from flip to flip making a profit on each. So you'll need to have the numbers down pat (business/finance) but are you doing the rehab work yourself? What is your construction experience?

If you're going to college to major in construction, which I'm not even sure is a real thing, why not save your money and just work for a general construction company, learning different jobs and what it takes to get it done from a resource, timing, effort, and cost perspective? That's something I don't think you'll ever get from 4 years of books and hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

From when I was a kid I wanted to be "in business". I went to college and majored in business because I wanted to be "in business". I found myself about 4 years into a decent career asking myself, what the hell does "in business" mean, Joe?

I would never discourage anyone from a college degree, but to me a college degree needs to advance your skills and make you a more attractive job prospect. If you plan on buying homes and flipping them, why not save the money and learn construction? Or if you want a business degree to eventually start working on the business side of flipping homes, go do that. But job experience to me is going to mean a whole heck of a lot more than a college degree in your line of work, I would think.

@John Halverson Here are my two cents: consider which major is going to give you the income to fund those flips. Figure out which major can provide you a W-2 job with the income and *time* to work on your wealth-building plan. Choose a degree that interests you. I think any of the majors you listed are a good step toward your goal.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here