I did a quick check and there have recently been over 500 people (within the last day) people on BP. Most topics have 5-15 main players comment back and forth and a variety of lurkers that just view things.
How can we get more people engaged in conversation on topics? I never have understood people just lurking and not participating. What are the main reasons this happens and more people aren't involved?
What most people, unfortunately, don't realize, is that by participating in the discussion, you are raising your own profile and increasing the chances that others will want to network and do business with you!
Those members who are most active are also the same members getting the most out of the site.
By engaging in the various discussions, people get to see you, know you, and trust you (most of the time).
I always laugh when people ask us to close their profile because they "didn't get anything out of the site." Typically, they just created a profile and read some threads, but never ENGAGED with the other members on the forums, blogs, buttletins, etc. That's exactly why they didn't get anything out of the site. No one knew who they were and as a result, had little reason to connect.
Bottom line, if you're participating by joining the various discussions about real estate, the economy, strategies,and even the off topic discussions, you're increasing the likelyhood that others are going to want to do business with you. You don't have to have all the answers, just some quality feedback, insight, or opinions.
Along with that, of course, having a complete profile and a personal photo for your avatar go a LONG way!
I'll wrap my post up with a quote from an email I got this morning. This was from a member who is a regular blogger here:
"I have noticed something that has been huge for me and I would like to share it with others. While BiggerPockets is not bringing the most hits to my site, the hits are the targeted ones that I want. They are actual investors asking about deals, partnering, advice, wanting to help each other, etc. I've had about 5 potential investor partners contact me in the last month alone and when I ask how they find me all but one which was a referral said BiggerPockets. It is the quality of the hits not the quantity and my main message would be that BiggerPockets is the most highly concentrated site to network, partner and learn Real Estate Investing."
I think he said it perfectly!
Since I'm a pretty frequent closer of threads, let me explain when I do it.
One situation is the guru or company review threads. That's really a specific case of a more general situation where a topic generates multiple, similar posts. Another common one is when there is some piece of news like some change in Fannie Mae policy or new lending guidelines. Very often several people will start a thread on the same topic in quick succession. Generally there will be a better discussion if all the comments are in one long thread than if they're scattered throughout several similar ones. So, I will close the new threads and leave a pointer to the first thread. If I catch it quick enough, I'll combine the threads.
Another is when an old post is offering or asking for some deal. If someone is looking for financing, for example, or offering a property, and the post is two or three years old, there's no chance the situation still applies. Normally such threads just linger in the dust. But once in a while someone will dredge up those old posts and reply with their own offer. Sometimes those threads become "spam attractors". Someone who wants to advertise finds a series of threads related to (or not, as is sometimes the case) and post thinly veiled spam. Someone else notices and adds theirs. Especially if these aren't caught quickly, there can be several ads that are just using the old thread as an excuse to post an ad. That's the most common situation where an old thread gets closed. Once a thread gets touched it shows up on the recent posts lists and then other notice. So, where there's really nothing to add, I will remove the spam and close the thread.
Ads where the original poster asks for them to be closed will usually get closed. Ads where the original poster is unresponsive to questions will also get closed.
Discussions where someone wants to restart the topic, or where someone asks "what happened with this deal" or the OP posts "here's an update" certainly do not get closed.
I thought of something that might help everyone in their searches here on the forums. We added the ability to sort the basic forum search results by recency. Now, when you search, you'll see Show Most Recent at the top right of the results. If you click the link, it'll sort for you.
Hopefully that helps you guys out.
I've seen quite a few new faces posting on the site lately, and have heard from a few who say that they have gotten involved thanks to this thread; lets keep the discussion moving . . .
Here's another tip for getting members to get more involved: when they introduce themselves, engage them and get them excited to be here.
The more people that participate here, the larger the volume of knowledge we all can share will be, and of course, the better our networking opportunities will be!
There is no real right or wrong just some well tried methods that have worked. The greatest successes have made some of the most mistakes and learned from them.
Marc- it doesn't matter whether posts have already been answered. Give your agreement to preceding posts, or post a contrarian view. Either way , the site benefits.    This post is a good example. Look how many times it has slowed and then started off again.        This is my first reply to this post, and I'm pretty active on BP.I have a lot of real estate experience, and yet I find myself asking for help at various times.     I may be completely lacking in certain areas, and find help on BP. Techie stuff, travel locations, and e-book publishing are some that come to mind quickly. I appreciate the quick responses I receive.     Most on BP are very forthcoming with help and suggestions. Most threads stay civil also.     I'd ask all the lurchers to join in with their thoughts or their agreement in the gist of the post. Those of us that post like to know that others are paying attention to our time spent.     Join in. It will benefit you and also benefit BP members. Rich
I find that this is the case when people want to post about programs they are working through and/or their favorite guru. It is the favorite pastime of certain members to immediately bombard them with negative comments when this happens. This often occurs when they have no idea what the program or the guru is about as well. There is a thread about a guru circulating right now with very strong evidence of this. I am all for debate on the validity of such programs and people, but those threads seldom stay civil in my limited experience on the site.
Given that many lurkers could possibly be newbies too I think that this detracts from the overall site experience.
Also, there is this: in my business, dealing with clients, I MUST exude confidence. They need to know that I'm the one with their solution. But here, I'm dealing with people who were pros long before I even knew what ARV stood for. If I exude the same confidence here, I set myself up for scolding. The people who get picked apart the most are the ones who either try to pass them selves off as something they're not, or try to sell something that even a non savvy investors would choke on.
But I'll tell you Bryan, it was this post and all the wise replies that really broke the ice for me. Yes, I'm new. Yes I still have many questions about what some people say are basics. But this is also the only job I've had in the last year and still have a roof over my head and food on the table. Apparently I do some things right. So what's to be afraid of?
Bryan- yes, I do think that keeps many from posting. Fear, thin skin etc. I think sometimes newbies are jumped on hard, when it is because others have come on as newbies with the same verbage and have turned out poorly. It is almost like the new newbie is punished for sins of the previous newbie.
Edward- welcome aboard! I voted your post up. I think it was the way many newbies perceive the board. Exuding confidence is a great trait, imo. I've never had a shortage of that! Rich
p.s. what part of the great state of TX are you in?
Rich,
Thanks for the vote! I have been a very active "lurker" and followed quite a few threads...many to their bitter ends. That usually happens as I've descibed above. But I have yet to see someone with a genuine thirst for the knowledge that is here and the willingness to persist get raked (unnecessarily) over the coals. I liked what you said about thin skin. Some just don't have the ability to laugh at themselves or fess up when they do get called on the carpet.
I am working in the DFW area. Our farm area is mostly north of Dallas, but as my boss has gotten more comfotable with me and given me more responsibility, I have started to spill over into the Mid-Cities, an area I'm very fond of.
Howdy neighbor.
Well, there I go "lurking" again... :cool:
I have been following this topic, but have not responded before now. I guess Marc sums it up for me as to why I don't post more often:
If I don't have anything additional to add to the discussion, then I don't chime in. But then Rich turns around and says:
So, I have to admit, I never thought about it in this way.... that my responding in agreement to answers already posted (not only just voting up the post) can have a positive effect on the discussion as a whole.
I love BP! I think its the best REI website ever. I am a self proclaimed 'lurker' and have used BP to jumpstart my business. Like other newbies here, I do like to search for a topic before posting a question because usually, the question has already been asked. There is so much information here it can be a bit overwhelming (in a positive way) for a newbie. The more I learn on BP, the more I realize I what I dont know, which probably prevents me from getting involved in some of the active threads.
I agree Rich. This is a great way for the new guys to get their feet wet without having to make an opinion of their own and have to support it. However, if you have an opinion, go ahead and make. So what if everyone disagrees and puts funny little smilie faces after your quotes...I've been around long enough to see that you either have to be hateful to another member, or try to illegally promote your business before the big guns come out! :lol:
Well the consensus seems to be that lurkers need not be afraid to post because everyone appreciates the additional commentary. This runs contrary to the belief that "all has been said" by the time people get to posts.
Does that about sum it up? Any other ideas on how to get people to participate more?
BTW...I am glad that this thread has inspired more to come out of their shells and participate. People often know more than they give themselves credit for!
Disagreements are great. Exchanges back and forth that discuss opposing view points are also great as long as they remain civil. There are times that exchanges are not civil. Name calling and other attack don't help useful dialog. :D :D
Kyand- we'll look for more of your posts. If people hassle you, I'll protect you! Welcome.
Edward- I like your choice of areas! In fact, I liked it so well I bought 154 units in Garland. Keep an eye on it for me!
Nina- don't be afraid to ask the question. Even if the question has been asked before, there are probably 1000 new members that didn't see it previously. Ask away.
Bryan- it does seem like this thread is bringing more lurchers out in the open. I find that good. Rich
Nina,
Here you are...adding valuable perspective to this thread! :D See, it's easy! Even if a question has been answered, it may lead to another question or maybe you would like more detail...Feel free to ask! You will gain confidence as time goes on.
Thanks!
Bill
Thanks, Rich!
Has anyone noticed an appreciable change in the participation rate of non-regular posters? Things seem to be drifting back to business as usual from my perspective.
Almost business as usual Bryan! Any topic that has a new question often sparkes other thoughts on the subject. Maybe sometimes when the old guys begin to digress, as I have been known to do, new aspects might be informative. Then again.....lol. I'm glad to see the lurkers come out aswell! Jump in!