BP Update 6.0 New BiggerPockets Navigation Launches!

BP Update 6.0 New BiggerPockets Navigation Launches!

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

As you can probably tell, we just deployed the newest version of BiggerPockets with an improved navigation and layout.

For highlights a link to our tour video, please see this post.

We've put a lot of time into testing these changes, and do believe that they bring a better user experience overall.

Before you start yelling at me about it, let it marinade a bit. :mrgreen:

Finally, if you do happen to find any new bugs or glitches, please let us know ASAP. We've got lots of great new things coming to the site soon . . . this is just the beginning!

Enjoy!

2Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
15y

Nice rehab job Josh. Are you going to flip it for profit or rent it out j/k :mrgreen:

See this reply in the discussion

49 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 105 posts · 71 votes
    15y

    Nice work, this can't be easy

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    Thanks Michael. This was the largest project we've probably ever undertaken in terms of scope and the number of pages/elements that were touched.

    There are still some tweaks to be made, but we're pretty close to where we want to be.

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    I like the new look and feel. I think the drop downs are more intuitive. Love the notification feature.

    I'll be back when I've explored more to give you other impressions.

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Josh, so far so good. Nice work! I have not had any issues but will let you know if I come across anything. Thanks!

  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    15y

    I like it Josh.

    I am seeing that I have an event notification but when I click on it there is no event listed.

  • Commercial Loan Officer · Southern Maine, ME · Member since 2009 · 782 posts · 415 votes
    15y

    I like the changes a lot! Thank you for your continued hard work Josh. It's nice to know that as the owner of the site you are always looking for ways to improve the site.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    Charles - Great! Sounds good.

    James - Thank you. I appreciate that.

    Greg - Thanks!- I see the same thing on mine . . . we should have that fixed in the next hours.

  • Portsmouth, OH · Member since 2009 · 198 posts · 54 votes
    15y

    Looks great Josh!!

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    I have 3 event notifications at the top and no events when I click on it. The alignment of things is off a bit in some areas too.

    I am still trying to get used to everything. The white screen definitely is bright...not sure if that is good or bad yet.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    Alex - Thank you!

    Bryan - As I mentioned to Greg (above), we'll have this little bug corrected shortly. Thanks.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    There is also some kind of buy with the alignment of stuff. Stuff is misaligned in several places.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    Brian - If things are misaligned for you, please take a screenshot and email it to me along with your operating system/version, browser/version. We've tested across many of the main browsers that our users use, but there may certainly be small alignment issues we missed.

    Thanks!

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    15y

    On the votes it doesn't show who clicked on it.You can select the question mark but I liked just hovering over the vote and it showing all who voted.

    Nothing major but I liked that feature before.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    Joel - If you click the question mark (where someone has voted) it shows who voted . . . that function hasn't changed - just the styling. Much of what we've done to the forum thread template is to put the emphasis on the post itself. Is that not working properly for you?

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Oooooh, Much nicer, quicker, cleaner looking! It's GREAT!Thanks!!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    I'm digging it

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    15y

    Nice rehab job Josh. Are you going to flip it for profit or rent it out j/k :mrgreen:

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2011 · 103 posts · 22 votes
    15y

    Looks great, much cleaner than before. I'm having some small issues with alignment and CSS positioning, screenshot available here.

    Chrome 13.0.782.14 dev-m, Windows 7 x64, so that's probably where I'm going wrong anyway :P

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    Bill, Nick, James - Thanks guys!

    Max - Thank you. Also, thanks for sharing the screenshot. We definitely don't support IE6 anymore, but should support you . . . I made a ticket for this one. Should get you covered in the next 2 days.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    I was checking one of the tools that we use to analyze the health of an application and saw something I was very pleased with. Average site response time has decreased about 29% from the week prior to our launch from this update. That's pretty significant.

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2011 · 103 posts · 22 votes
    15y

    That's an awesome difference! I actually worked with some people on one of the world's largest forums (currently indexing about 198,000,000 posts, active and archived combined) on a complete rewrite of the search technology.

    Along with several thousand in new search servers, the new system basically cut our response time in searches from anywhere up to 10 seconds down to less than half a second.

    I've also noticed that when opening up the category views, there's no noticeable choppiness/lag that there used to be when having multiple categories dropped down. What is being used to do the category listing now, if I may pry? I've only messed around with things like mootools myself.

  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2008 · 382 posts · 72 votes
    15y

    The upgrade is exceptionally nice. Very intuitive. This is by far the best upgrade the site has seen.

    2 small things.

    1.It's hard to get back to the dashboard from the BP Blog. Maybe you could add "dashboard home" button there.

    2. In Firefox the emoticons overlap the "reply to post" box while I'm typing this reply.

    Thanks so much for all your hard work. The site has never looked better.

    PS. Thank you for the screencast of the new features. Made my life very easy.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    Max - We've built it all from scratch. No 3rd party tools. Aside from a very few open source technologies that we're currently using, BP is 100% proprietary.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    Stephen - Thanks!
    1 - The second link on the header of the BP Blog, Real Estate Investing points back to BP home -- we should probably rename the link
    2 - Can you shoot me an email with a screenshot and the version of FF you're using? josh at biggerpockets

    Thanks again.

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2011 · 103 posts · 22 votes
    15y

    Its actually the same with me. I haven't tested in IE9 since I can't ever remember my password (thank God for saved ones). Here's the screenshot. I'd also like to note how great it is to have an administrator so involved in the community.

    Too often, I see admins of major communities either end up only doing the administration and losing sight of what everything is about, or spending all of their time policing members and whatnot, it's great to have someone who also just spends his time as part of the community, in the discussions, and everything else.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.