What is the difference between following and connecting?

4 Replies

I've been here for a while and I don't know this. I guess it's an etiquette question. Under what circumstances should I send a connection invite and when should I send a follow? I've always just done the connect thing but then recently I saw someone followed me but no action was required on my part. Have I been doing it wrong?

I am not fully sure either but I would assume you would follow somebody that is doing a good job investing and by observing his/her path you get inspired and motivated for what that person has achieved.

My guess is that when they have completed a new deal and they update it, you would receive a notification to follow the progress. 

Again, that's my guess...

Good question, i'll be checking the answers you get

@Jill F. I’m not to sure myself but I think connecting is just like adding friends on social media. I believe following is getting updates when they make a post or comment on things.

Maybe @Mindy Jensen could give the proper answer??

@Jill F. When you are colleagues with someone, their interactions on the site will appear in your dashboard feed, you can send them private messages, and you can tag them in posts on the forums.

You cannot tag people you are following, nor send them private messages without first sending a colleague request.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you