How to get the "@someones name" when replying in forums

19 Replies

When posters are replying directly to one another there is an "@johnsmith" that precedes the response.

How do you do this? Do you click somewhere?

When you type @ @Larry K. a window appears below and you scrol down and click on the name, sometimes it doesn't work, your name did not appear, but try it again Larry K. and it did. It's so easy even I can do it....

#1 - this feature does not work with all browsers, so maybe you are using a browser that isn't supporting this feature.

#2 - when you make a mistake typing after the @, or forget to type the @ by itself to start (it has to have a blank space after the @), it doesn't seem to work. Solution is to type a space after the @ and then back up to before the space and then type the user's name correctly. You may be able to just backspace to the last correct letter, but I'm just not sure if that will always work or not.

It's a nice feature to have - I just wish it worked on all browser types.

This function works for the 3 major browsers -- Chrome, Firefox and IE; it should also work on Opera. No other browser gets even a tenth of a percent of use on our site, so if the functionality doesn't work, we're not likely to support it.

You can enter a name by first or last --

Here's the tutorial:
@Mentions Come to BiggerPockets

I just encountered another limitation (that you may not experience, but you never know). You cannot do the mentions with somebody unless you are colleagues with the party that you want to mention or unless that party has posted in the thread where you are making the mention. In other words, you can only mention thread participants or your colleagues (maybe a PRO account can mention anybody because they can PM without being colleagues first).

Originally posted by @Stephen McCauley:
I use Safari and can not figure it out. @Joshua Dorkin

I'm using Safari from my IPhone and it works as advertised, so maybe you could supply some more info like OS and release or version numbers.

@Stephen McCauley it works fine in Safari. Type the @, then the name. Then look down below the text window where you're typing. You may have to scroll your window down to see the names that pop up. You may have to give it a second, especially if you have a slower connection. Works best if you type the name with no errors. If you backspace and make corrections, it still usually works, but you have to have more patience.

@Stephen McCauley I think you have to enter at least three letters. I usually type the fully name to avoid having to scroll through the list.

the @? Only seems to bring users already contributing to the thread, so if you want to mention a colleague who has not yet posted in the thread, you have to do what @Jon Holdman stated - type a few letters. And for those users with punctuation of some sort or space in their username (among those first few letters), you have to type that punctuation character to get it to work.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you