Welcome New BiggerPockets Moderator: J Scott

Welcome New BiggerPockets Moderator: J Scott

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

Last week we welcomed Jon Klaus to our moderator team, and today, I'm excited to announce another new moderator, J Scott.

J has been around BiggerPockets for almost 5 years, and his 7,800+ forum posts have been of as high in quality as you can find. J goes above and beyond to help other members succeed with their businesses, and I'm proud to have him as a member of the team!

Of course, you'll be able to find him across the site, but look to his contributions in our Rehabbing forum areas, where his expertise lies, for the gold standard in feedback.

Do be sure to follow him here on BiggerPockets and please welcome J to the team!

8Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y

Congrats J. I can confidently say that you have been the most helpful BP member for me over the past 2+ years. Your willingness to share, answer questions and respond to inquiries is beyond impressive and your ability to be truthful yet respectful is refreshing!

What a great addition to the BP Moderator team and thanks for your contributions thus far!

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Congrats J. I can confidently say that you have been the most helpful BP member for me over the past 2+ years. Your willingness to share, answer questions and respond to inquiries is beyond impressive and your ability to be truthful yet respectful is refreshing!

    What a great addition to the BP Moderator team and thanks for your contributions thus far!

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Welcome J Scott You are a cornerstone to the community and I am so glad you are willing to keep giving. I am honored to serve with you.

  • Longview, TX · Member since 2012 · 368 posts · 131 votes
    13y

    Congratulations. I've learned a lot from your posts here, and 123flip is one of the best resources on house flipping I've found.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Congrats to you sir! I'm glad to see Joshua Dorkin keeping the quality high, even when it comes to moderators. You've got some great guys on the team now.

  • Property Manager · Dublin, OH · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 291 votes
    13y

    Looks like each mod here start with an J in his first name :).
    Congrats J Scott.

    -Uwe

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    13y

    Congrats

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    Congratulations J Scott.

    Joshua Dorkin why new moderators? This site seems to be very civil with little spam. The quality of posts is very high, with very little controversy.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    Ned Carey - We're building the team, not because of spam and abuse, but to really strengthen the community. BiggerPockets is already solid, as you mentioned, but there's always room for improvement.

    For example - Even though most questions get answered, some still get by. In my mind, that's unacceptable. Our goal is to make sure that never happens. There are also new members who are greeted by only a small contingent of users . . . if we can make those newbies feel more welcome, we increase the likelyhood that they stick around and become potential partners for the rest of you guys. That's not the only reason, but there is definitely a method to the madness here . . . as I mentioned in my article, Project Simplify: Outlining the Near-Term Future of BiggerPockets, we've got a plan for the future of BP and these little moves make a big impact.

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Congrats J Scott I'm sure you will continue to do a great job.

  • Real Estate Investor · Johnstown, NY · Member since 2012 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Congratulations J Scott. Your website is what brought me to biggerpockets.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y

    Thanks alll...I really appreciate all the kind words and look forward to working with Josh, Jon, Jon and the other mods to continue to ensure that BP is *THE* place for real estate professionals on the Internet!

  • Investor · Kennesaw, GA · Member since 2010 · 158 posts · 61 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by James Vermillion:
    Congrats J. I can confidently say that you have been the most helpful BP member for me over the past 2+ years. Your willingness to share, answer questions and respond to inquiries is beyond impressive and your ability to be truthful yet respectful is refreshing!

    What a great addition to the BP Moderator team and thanks for your contributions thus far!

    What James said. And everybody else. I know you work hard and have a busy schedule, so thanks for donating some of your time and knowledge here!

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Congratulations, J Scott, I was wondering if you were going to jump in there. The quality of your posts and your level-headed interaction will be a terrific addition to the BP Moderator team.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Mt. Pleasant, SC · Member since 2010 · 257 posts · 130 votes
    13y

    Congrats J Scott. You are the real deal when it comes to flipping and have the best and most well thought-out business model I've seen for rehabbing.

    I'm amazed how much time you contribute to BP considering the number of projects you take on. Thanks!

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    J, you're the best! Thanks for all your help over the years, and BP is all the better for having you.

  • Real Estate Agent · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2011 · 726 posts · 284 votes
    13y

    It's about time. Congrats. You turned me on to BP, and inspired me to do something.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Congrats J Scott.

  • Real Estate Agent · Henderson, NV · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 550 votes
    13y

    J ScottJoshua Dorkin You're building a great team.

    Congrats J Scott!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Ocala, FL · Member since 2009 · 255 posts · 65 votes
    13y

    Congrats J Scott, I can't even imagine the amount of money people have made because of the knowledge you share so freely.

  • Real Estate Investor · CA · Member since 2009 · 174 posts · 39 votes
    13y

    j Scott a moderator???? I thought he always was---unofficial maybe!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Nothing against JScott. He is absolutely a great contributor.

    I just think josh has made a HUGE mistake. I left REIClub.com and thecreativeinvestor.com because the mods who are also posters let their ego rule the board. This new team may prove a disaster. Not that they don't know their stuff just that their and our egos will begin to challenge.

    Giving one of us such an important title when the rest didn't vote or request isn't a great move.

    Again JScott is great. Nothing wrong with him. Just not a great idea. IMHO.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    Michael - We've always had moderators on the site. In fact, any successful community does. I'm not sure why the sites you mention are unsuccessful, but is is not likely because they have mods. It could be a number of other reasons, but the existence of moderators alone doesn't cause problems.

    As you mentioned . . . perhaps it was an ego problem. I'm not familiar enough to know, nor do I care, as the only community in this niche that concerns me is BIggerPockets, and I know that our team is top notch.

    As for it being a bad idea bringing on new moderators, I disagree completely, but I certainly do thank you for taking the time to share your opinion.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Ocala, FL · Member since 2009 · 255 posts · 65 votes
    13y

    I for one have bumped heads with Scott in the past, and to be honest if it wasn't for him I doubt i would continue posting on this board (so you can blame him i'm still here).

    I've seen some of my posts disappear/threads locked but nothing i think that the overall community benefited from by having it lay around forever.

    Maybe I'm naive, but i think most of the new moderators are "above" using their new found power to win a petty argument. Besides, most should realize the people that challenge us are the only ones that allow us to grow. If they abuse their powers then they are the ones who really lose.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Josh. This is your 8 year old child. Not mine. Just pointing out challenges to you and the mods.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    Thank you Michael Quarles. Duly noted.

    Why don't we get back to welcoming J Scott everyone!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.