Announcing BiggerPockets Reviews - What is important to you?

Announcing BiggerPockets Reviews - What is important to you?

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes

Hey hey hey fellow BiggerPocketeers!

BiggerPockets is always looking for ways to improve the site - and what we hear over and over is: 

What is the best solution for X?    and    Has anyone used X company?

We've heard you. And our answer is BiggerPockets Reviews! 

BiggerPockets' Editorial Team regularly reviews products and services that directly affect you, the investor. These are objective reviews from us - they are not paid for or sponsored by the company. 

BUT

We want to make sure we're sharing what YOU want to know! So please tell us WHAT you want to know and WHO you want reviewed.

Feel free to comment here or send me a message on the site or via email at [email protected]. 

7Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Sergio B.:

Great idea, seems very useful for initial information on a product or service. As a possible consumer, I would also like to read peer reviews and a rating system "a la" Amazon. The way is designed now a reader probably won't come back to revisit down the road. Good tool for my toolbox regardless, maybe phase 2?

 I am not a fan of Amazon style reviews. Amazon reviews are highly manipulated. Most of the top reviewers get the product for free and the companies themselves use armies of fake people to boost reviews. The other issue is people coming on to leave angry reviews based on just a single experience. If they do allow member reviews, it should be limited to PRO members or people who have a certain post count.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 122 posts · 51 votes
    6y

    Great idea, seems very useful for initial information on a product or service. As a possible consumer, I would also like to read peer reviews and a rating system "a la" Amazon. The way is designed now a reader probably won't come back to revisit down the road. Good tool for my toolbox regardless, maybe phase 2?

  • Architect · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2016 · 317 posts · 371 votes
    6y

    @Mindy Jensen I appreciate the BP team getting this started. I read a few reviews and they were very detailed. How local can we go on our request? Can it be a lender or realtor or contractor, etc. that is only specific to a certain region like the DMV or LA Metro area?

  • Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    In the forums, I would like an option to jump to my last read post. It makes it easier to follow a conversation. 

  • New to Real Estate · Garden Grove, CA · Member since 2020 · 64 posts · 56 votes
    6y

    I second @Sergio B. a peer review option would be great like Amazon with a star system. And of course, those reviews should be vetted to make sure they're legit. 

    But personally, whenever I see a review by peers who's used a particular product, that review has more weight than anything else.

  • Property Manager · Bangor, ME · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Mindy Jensen

    Provide a list of names, phone numbers and email addresses of reputable private money lenders.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Sergio B.:

    Great idea, seems very useful for initial information on a product or service. As a possible consumer, I would also like to read peer reviews and a rating system "a la" Amazon. The way is designed now a reader probably won't come back to revisit down the road. Good tool for my toolbox regardless, maybe phase 2?

     I am not a fan of Amazon style reviews. Amazon reviews are highly manipulated. Most of the top reviewers get the product for free and the companies themselves use armies of fake people to boost reviews. The other issue is people coming on to leave angry reviews based on just a single experience. If they do allow member reviews, it should be limited to PRO members or people who have a certain post count.

  • Realtor · Newark, DE · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Some sites like VRBO and Amazon have rules that won't let you post a review if you never used the product or service, makes sense on the surface. Sometimes issues happen that skirt around using the service, e.g. cancellations or business deal went sideways. These get missed in reviews because of those rules, but unsatisfied customers aren't allowed to post their actual experience. Real Estate has many ways a deal can break, as long as reviews can cover those it would be all encompassing. I'm not a pro yet, an addition of reviews will help rookies like me tremendously. It will give BP an added level of reputation for the businesses (lenders, contractors, etc) that promote here. I'm always using caution as sifting through who can harm and who can help.

  • Greg MoranPro Member
    Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 136 posts · 59 votes
    6y

    Howdy Mindy, 

    I would love to add a positive review for QuestTrust Company from Houston, TX. I use them as the custodian for a Self-directed IRA that holds my RE investments. I've had the for about a year now, we've done 3 transactions, and each one has been well facilitated. I always get to speak to a person when I call their office, and they have enough staff to answer any aspect of SDIRA investing in RE. I also chose QuestTrust because of their emphasis on providing education to their clients through webinars, events (all online lately), and forums. Their prices (.PDF) are not the cheapest, but I've learned that in life you get what you pay for, and QuestTrust provides a great value.

    Love to see what others think about them!

    Respect,

    -Greg

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Paul Ouellette:

    @Mindy Jensen

    Provide a list of names, phone numbers and email addresses of reputable private money lenders.

    A Private Money Lender is someone you know, or someone who knows someone you know. You're probably looking for Hard Money Lenders, have you tried the Hard Money Lending Directory? www.biggerpockets.com/hml

  • Attorney · Northbrook, IL · Member since 2017 · 719 posts · 549 votes
    6y

    @Mindy Jensen I would like if reviews can be limited in some way. A reviewer needs a certain number of posts, activity, etc in order to leave a review. My issue is I want reputable reviews and not randoms either posting fluff reviews or posting bad reviews about competition. 

  • Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    6y
    um, this may sound dumb. but looking at top menu, there is no vendor reviews. so how will we know how to get there without the link in Mindy's 3 day old post?
  • Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 54 votes
    6y

    @Mindy Jensen

    How about a webnar on passive investor/syndication?

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Robert Shreffler:

    um, this may sound dumb. but looking at top menu, there is no vendor reviews. so how will we know how to get there without the link in Mindy's 3 day old post?

    At the top Menu, look under Education > Reviews.

    Or just use this link:  

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/reviews

  • Realtor · Pigeon Forge, TN · Member since 2018 · 230 posts · 111 votes
    6y

    @Mindy Jensen

    BP reviews sounds interesting.

    How local would you go and how would the list of companies/ products/ services reviewed be fair. There is potential for some venders agencies to take advantage.

    A review system where 3 or 4 like items reviewed with comparables could be interesting.

  • Sunnyvale, CA · Member since 2018 · 191 posts · 178 votes
    6y

    @Mindy Jensen I agree with peer review but heavily vetted. A toothbrush on amazon with 10k reviews and once you start reading the reviews, 90% of them seem fake. We recently had a post where someone asked about a program and then what felt like a bunch of spam bots came on.

  • Investor · Irving, TX · Member since 2015 · 101 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Mindy Jensen

    Financing a purchase

    What Are the signs that a neighborhood is going up in demand or down in demand

  • Houston Texas · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    My review is for the new calculators. Please change them back to the old style. The functionality placement of the inputs is not user friendly. I can't enter my exact down payment amount. I have to select a predetermined percentage. I have to download the PDF to visually see a complete picture of my numbers. Some of the entries are missing (Unit breakdown price).  

  • Product Manager at BiggerPockets · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 64 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dwight Porter:

    My review is for the new calculators. Please change them back to the old style. The functionality placement of the inputs is not user friendly. I can't enter my exact down payment amount. I have to select a predetermined percentage. I have to download the PDF to visually see a complete picture of my numbers. Some of the entries are missing (Unit breakdown price).  

     Hi Dwight, 

    Thanks for your feedback. You can access the old calculators here:
    Old Rental Calculator

    Old Flipping Calculator


    Furthermore, if you have additional feedback you'd like to give us on the new calculators, please fill out this survey. 

    Thank you!

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Got a lot of ideas on this since we buy out of state & bulk REO property/vacant 1st mortgage tapes. We're always trying to find the best of the following, so a (relatively) nationwide database of these types of companies would be invaluable:

    - Law firms (Real Estate and/or Foreclosure attorneys)

    - Investor friendly Title Companies

    - General Contractors (grass and snow maintenance can be difficult as well, so landscaping could be a worthwhile facet of this too)

    - REO Agents

    - Property Preservation Companies/Mold Remediation Companies

    - Alarm Services

    - Tax monitoring services

    - Investor friendly insurance companies

  • Rental Property Investor · Toronto, ON · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Mindy Jensen

    I hate how it doesn’t have notifications on the app itself. Yes, I get email of response or friend request on the forum but, I don’t even know my password lol.

    When I log into app, there is not notification tab, like there would be on Facebook or something.

    I would appreciate that.

  • Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    @Mindy Jensen allow a quick way to scroll to bottom of threads. When I read a post that has 250 comments, I want to be able to see most recent ones, not ones I’ve read the last few times I’ve looked at the post!

  • Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    Mindy

    I would like to see the ability to review companies that offer their services on this site. Whether or not they personally advertise on BP. I have had mostly good luck on this site with people that are a part of this site. With that said, there should be a place to review both good and bad for anyone trying to promote themselves here. 

    Thanks

    Rick

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 758 posts · 285 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Kyle J.:
    Originally posted by @Robert Shreffler:

    um, this may sound dumb. but looking at top menu, there is no vendor reviews. so how will we know how to get there without the link in Mindy's 3 day old post?

    At the top Menu, look under Education > Reviews.

    Or just use this link:  

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/reviews

    this sounds interesting

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 299 posts · 476 votes
    6y

    @Mindy Jensen I really like the idea of BiggerPockets Reviews and it will be a big help for all members on the platform! 

    I had a question regarding the companies that will be reviewed though. Will they include all relevant companies in the industry or only those that have partnered with BiggerPockets? 

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Sharlene Mulchandani:

    @Mindy Jensen I really like the idea of BiggerPockets Reviews and it will be a big help for all members on the platform! 

    I had a question regarding the companies that will be reviewed though. Will they include all relevant companies in the industry or only those that have partnered with BiggerPockets? 

    Very good question. We're always looking for suggestions for companies to review, although cannot guarantee we will be able to review every company suggested.

    The reviews are factual and not based on opinions. We are hoping to add the member-supplied reviews in the near future. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.