Tell us how to improve BiggerPockets content!

Tell us how to improve BiggerPockets content!

Denver, CO 路 Member since 2014 路 47 posts 路 93 votes

Love the BiggerPockets Podcast? Watch Real Estate Ride Along every week on our YouTube channel? Wish our blog covered the BRRRR strategy more often? (Wait, is that possible?)

We want to hear what YOU think about BiggerPockets' many content offerings鈥攁nd how we can get better at answering the questions you have on real estate (and entertaining you along the way).

If you have an extra 2 minutes and would like to help shape the future of BiggerPockets content (sounds dramatic, but seriously), please complete this survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r...

We appreciate you!

11Reply
420 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent 路 Arlington, TX 路 Member since 2019 路 47 posts 路 64 votes
6y

@Allison Leung making the app overall mobile device friendly. Include tools and BP Insights to the mobile app version.

See this reply in the discussion

152 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor 路 Peoria, AZ 路 Member since 2016 路 114 posts 路 163 votes
    6y

    @Allison Leung

    Hi Allison - Thanks for the open invitation to critique the site.  I love the podcasts and the material I find on the website and the mobile version, but the mobile platform doesn't recognize notifications well.  I will often put a post up, watch my mobile app for comments, and then go into my email to see that there's been a bunch of activity that I wasn't aware of.  It's not until I click on the link in my email that I see the responses/comments/votes on my posts.  Please help!

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Arlington, TX 路 Member since 2019 路 47 posts 路 64 votes
    6y

    @Allison Leung making the app overall mobile device friendly. Include tools and BP Insights to the mobile app version.

  • Investor 路 Springfield, MA 路 Member since 2010 路 276 posts 路 84 votes
    6y

    @Allison Leung have me on your podcast lol.

    But more seriously I am loving the insights feature and would like to see more of that.

    I have also found the live facebook shows very educational.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 OH 路 Member since 2019 路 51 posts 路 52 votes
    6y

    @Allison Leung I would like for the app to have more features that the website has. For example, it would be nice if the app had the calculator included.

  • Property Manager 路 Kansas City, MO 路 Member since 2018 路 280 posts 路 221 votes
    6y

    @Allison Leung I added this to the survey but improving the app. It鈥檚 hard to consume content in the app the way it is and the threads get super long when people quote the OP or really long replies.

    Also would be great to have video capability here on the app linking to the YouTube videos as opposed to having everything in a different platform.

    Is there an opportunity to add the Show Notes from the podcast here in the app as well? Just a thought

  • Real Estate Consultant 路 Ogden, UT 路 Member since 2015 路 51 posts 路 26 votes
    6y

    I'm still getting reacquainted with everything...lots of improvements over the years.  Right now no recommendations other than it would be nice to have an improved app that would have the "tools" on there but other than that i've been happy with the updates thats been happening.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host 路 Longmont, CO 路 Member since 2014 路 7k+ posts 路 10k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Matthew T.:

    @Allison Leung have me on your podcast lol.

    But more seriously I am loving the insights feature and would like to see more of that.

    I have also found the live facebook shows very educational.

    To apply to be a guest on the podcast, go to www.biggerpockets.com/guest.We have four podcasts, so make sure you are applying for the right show.

  • Investor 路 Springfield, MA 路 Member since 2010 路 276 posts 路 84 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen:
    Originally posted by @Matthew T.:

    @Allison Leung have me on your podcast lol.

    But more seriously I am loving the insights feature and would like to see more of that.

    I have also found the live facebook shows very educational.

    To apply to be a guest on the podcast, go to www.biggerpockets.com/guest.We have four podcasts, so make sure you are applying for the right show.

     Hi Mindy.  I have applied twice before and yesterday was number three.  So third time's the charm 馃槣

    Thanks

  • Specialist 路 Easton, PA 路 Member since 2018 路 1k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Allison Leung

    I love BP, but don鈥檛 ever go on the website. Would be nice if there were more mobile options, like posting pictures, etc.

  • Investor 路 Denver, CO 路 Member since 2017 路 3 posts 路 7 votes
    6y

    @allison lueng I always love more house hacking content like @Craig Curelop cranks out!!!

  • Investor 路 Gallatin, TN 路 Member since 2020 路 59 posts 路 62 votes
    6y

    I would like to see reviews of various different real estate investments from SFH to multi FHs to apartments to mobile home parks.

  • New to Real Estate 路 Garden Grove, CA 路 Member since 2020 路 64 posts 路 56 votes
    6y

    Interesting, I didn't realize there was an active mobile app until these comments.

    My only recommendation is to have a search option for the rental "Calculator Reports" section. Right now I'm practicing analyzing deals and I'd like to be able to search a new deal I'm analyzing to see if maybe I already did it 4 months ago. Right now I have to scroll back several pages and look for it. A bit time-consuming. I'd like to put in the address and see if it pops up.

    Oh and the other thing is the YouTube videos that automatically play on the home page. Maybe turn the automatic play off?

    But everything else is great.

  • Flipper/Rehabber 路 Memphis, TN 路 Member since 2020 路 758 posts 路 285 votes
    6y

    It would be nice if it would be more mobile friendly. 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Charleston, SC 路 Member since 2020 路 7 posts 路 3 votes
    6y

    @Allison Leung thanks for opening this up for feedback. The content is great, extensive and varied. Accessing the content is the issue. As the largest REI online resource the app leaves much to be desired. Long load times, search returns produce results then when filtered by date return error messages. The solution cannot be to jump on a computer. We are increasingly mobile as a society and you have an app, just a poorly functioning one. The back end needs work though. Great ideas for improving content are of diminished value if it you can't find that content with a search warrant because the platform is substandard.

  • Member since 2019 路 36 posts 路 21 votes
    6y

    Make the marketing of YouTube Instagram and the podcast more aligned. The energy of the different mediums don't feel connected, the aforementioned mediums all feel different and disjointed.

    Please make the mobile app more in synch with what's available on the website.

    Notifications could also be better

    Make the deal analyzing tools available on the mobile app

    Perhaps a different app all together? Bigger pockets deal analyzing tools maybe?

  • Member since 2018 路 13 posts 路 8 votes
    6y

    This may sound dumb but if you can create a way to retracted messages that we send out to others by mistake or with misspelled words that could help. Of course we could proofread them better before we send them out too.

  • Flipper/Rehabber 路 Wilton, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 4k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    6y

    Hey Allison Leung.

    Hope you don't mind I am going to be very blunt. This is not a reflection on you, but it is a bit of a stern rude awakening in my honest opinion.

    BP Podcast:

    How Joe Smo closed 385937593 deals by the age of 9!

    How Oompa Loompa flips 33 houses in 5 days..

    Now...

    Not a fan of podcasts because all these podcasts are basically personal opinions designed to hype up the unsuspecting users to ... get hyped up. Thats it.

    All that stuff on how THEY do it, ... most of the time it is very little actual and a whole lot of theoretical and self admiration disguised as tips and how to.

    Now, I have watched just a few podcasts and when I did watch I didn't stay for long, so this may not be accurate but this is the opinion I have based on several random podcasts I tried to watch... so take it how you want it it is meant to give you a blunt opinion of a BP user that really did try to get into BP podcasts.

    I can tell you that there is not much focus on the CORE of investing, just personal opinions and I honestly can't stand personal opinions especially when they are disguised and packaged as "this is an other way to get successful" when I honestly cringe when I see COUNTLESS of investors (all over the net, including BP) on podcasts completely butchering lead generation... let me tell you som som.. lead gen is the CORE of investing! Yet, almost nothing on it and when there is something on it, I feel like jumping off a cliff!

    All these "brilliant" gadgets and strategies on anything and everything and then they resort to cold calling or DMM for leads. What is the point of BRRRR and all these new ways when your chain is as strong as the weakest link. Amazing strategy X and Y... and how do you do it? Well go do door knocking to get leads, so that THEN you can do amazing strategy X!!

    For me, a savvy investor, these podcasts bring little value (sorry). And for beginners, it brings value .. well in my opinion they THINK it brings value.

    Seriously... I honestly do not like podcasts for that reason. Do a podcast on how to flip a house from beginning to end. Do a podcast featuring NORMAL investors that tried but failed, and dive deep into why they failed, what went wrong, how to avoid it. Focus on education and not so much stroking egos of "Successful" investors. Those are VALUABLE lessons beginners can learn from. Not ego boosting investors that "made it" using questionable methods.

    Check this out...

    Do you all realize what this ENTIRE BP population is doing?

    Let me tell you. 

    While the rest of the nation all are spending money time and effort reaching... "people".... and only AFTER you reach them (having spend the money and /or effort) you figure out if they are motivated sellers or not. You spend what, 10K 20K 30K a month on mailers, commercials, radio ads, cold calling... and after you spend all that money you realize that 97% of the people you paid to reach, turn out they are not motivated at all. Ridiculous. Think about it. It is CRAZY!!! Nuts!!

    Is it not painstakingly obvious that you should only spend time money and effort AFTER you know they are motivated?  

    This is a tremendously obvious flaw in the majority of investors here. I CAN NOT be the only one that figured this out right? NO WAY!

    Then why do I NEVER see a podcast on that? That is a GLARING universal flaw in this entire space of REI, yet no one sees it?! Really??

    It is almost as if BP has partnered or is sponsored by DMM companies or something and act on the interest of the sponsors rather than focusing where you can help people the most. How to give the most value. You have such a strong community here but it truly feels too... commercial. I get it people need to make money, but the podcasts could be such a powerful tool to focus more on helping all these new struggling investors rather then glorifying the podcast guests.

    If I were to start some group, I would truly focus on data collection first. Analysis, figure out why so many people are struggling. Then develop content to truly educate and help people. 

    The reason SO many investors are failing is because of exactly this. The market is FULL of personal opinions, and not so much actual indisputable facts. 

    I read a whole debate on BP's stance on "ohh we are not responsible for the content of the podcasts " as BP was podcasting a thief and scammer.

    My response to this is, what ever you want to "officially" call it, "not responsible" I lost all respect and credibility for BP podcasts. YES BP, you ARE responsible for the podcasts you put out no matter what the official stance is. YOU (BP) are getting a bad name for being part of the problem and spreading and marketing these scammers and seriously questionable advise on a lot of topics especially lead generation.

    The fact of the matter is, no matter how you officially and legally protect your podcasts from blame or lawsuits, this is not helping anyone and therefore the podcasts are pretty much useless in my opinion. It is like podcasts are done for the sake of getting more admiration flowers and more members, instead of helping those that actually need help, succeed.

    So my critique is...

    dudes, focus on the people that need actual on the ground real help. Not fluff and poetic stories on how this cool dude made it big from a strategy no one is really going to apply or can apply as a beginner.

    Let me give you an example.

    One of the recent podcasts some dude was talking about:

    Tarl:
    The key right now is most people build their business and then take their life and try to get their life to fit their business, whatever they have left over. Instead, why don鈥檛 the people do it the other way around where they figure out what kind of life do they actually want to live and then design their business to fit that lifestyle?

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

    This is the stuff I mean.. (this is why I can't watch more than 3 minutes of podcasts). Sure sounds so poetic and clever and awesome ...  wake UP!!

    People have mortgages, five  3 year old kids, have to bring their sick kids to the doctor while working 3 jobs to make ends meet.

    So here comes this dude "Ohh why don't you figure out the fancy lifestyle you want to live and design your business around that". Are you kidding?

    This is what I mean with stroking the egos of the podcast guests.

    A lot of theory, not at all practical. Yes tell these folks to just figure out what lifestyle you want to live and design your business around that. I don';t think he has ever been poor or have ever been struggling. 

    YEAH. Why don't they just pick the life they want and ohh just design your business around that. Oh never mind all the responsibilities and all the money I don't have...

    Lot of theory but very little actual practical in these podcasts.

    I know this was blunt.. but I don't do sugar coating.  It is what it is, and I hope you can extract valuable points here to better the whole podcast thing.

    Now for the good.

    A lot of you (you included) try hard to make this place the way it is and I applaud you for that. Keep up the good work! The fact you posted this post is obviously indication you try to do better. 

    So good on you!

  • Nicholas U.Pro Member
    Member since 2020 路 65 posts 路 44 votes
    6y

    I am not overly interested in articles that talk about major deals and such because I am not close to being there.  There are plenty of YouTubers and such that makes this sound like a get rich quick scheme.  I get some of that is to attract new users and that won't go away but at the same time it would be nice if there were more features or networking for the site.  For example, there is a "Find Deals" section but I don't really see it advertised and pushed.  Giving people incentive to post here before it hits the market would be great.  There are also listings there from 2 years ago...  I don't know how much I can actually trust it.  

  • Contractor 路 Placerville, CA 路 Member since 2019 路 85 posts 路 66 votes
    6y

    @Allison Leung I really appreciate BP, I would like the mobile app to be more user friendly.

    Many people use their phones for everything.

  • Member since 2020 路 13 posts 路 12 votes
    6y
    Love BiggerPockets and all of the info and tools and support here. I am committed to making my first investment within 30 days. Just tried the Rental Calculator for the first time to estimate a deal. after many screw ups (numbers vs percentages) I finally got what looked like a good numbers. What would be helpful is if it could give a simple Green/Yellow/Red indicator if it's a good deal or not-so-much based on cash-on-cash, ROI, etc. (for us newbies). and as we adjust our numbers (i.e. our offer, the monthly rent, etc) that color can change. I think I have a good deal, but I'm too new to know. - Greg C. MD
  • Randall AlanPro Member
    Investor 路 Lakeland, FL 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y

    Can we get "unanswered discussions" to appear on the mobile version of the site?  It's not an option currently.  Seems like it would be a simple fix.

  • Oklahoma City 路 Member since 2020 路 4 posts 路 2 votes
    6y

    I would agree the app/mobile needs to be updated and that has been covered a lot. I would like to have the calculator combine rental/brrrr/flip to all be combined into one report so that data is not entered multiple times for the same property.  This way from a one or two page we can gain insight into what strategy may work best and which one is a no go based on different desired outcomes. 

  • Property Manager 路 Saint Petersburg, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 182 posts 路 51 votes
    6y

    When I was a PRO member (ended last month) I did enjoy the access to state specific lease documents.

    In light of the current CDC related rent moratorium, it would be VERY handy to have an attorney reviewed cash for keys agreement included in those documents - if not there already. Likely handy to have that type of template regardless of current situation.

    Include me in to the group who are hoping for more streamlined, user friendly, calculator connected app.

    Lastly, Could the notification bell have a different color or something to signify mail in the inbox... might keep communication flowing a little better.

    thanks for the opportunity to 'share' my  3 wishes if the genie is listening :)

  • Investor 路 Alpharetta GA 路 Member since 2019 路 17 posts 路 11 votes
    6y

    @Allison Leung I didn't go through all the previous comments so I might be repeating some, but here's my 2 cents:

    1. BP App - you should add the calculated to the app. I can speak for myself and say that I would probably use the calculators 10 times a day if they were more accessible (hate using them on chrome on my phone)

    2. Add house layout drawing tool to the app.

    3. Add before and after section to your website

    4. Podcast - you recently had a podcast about a guy who failed miserably in his first two flips, followed by a podcast where Brandon and David talked about the pit falls in real estate investing. These were super educating and are more relevant to most listeners who are struggling or are afraid to start. Most podcasts with those who made it big time are great, however the majority should lean towards the newbies and not the super success stories.

    5. Webinars - how about including real life stories from audience in the webinars?

  • Investor 路 Member since 2020 路 401 posts 路 86 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

    Hey Allison Leung.

    Hope you don't mind I am going to be very blunt. This is not a reflection on you, but it is a bit of a stern rude awakening in my honest opinion.

    BP Podcast:

    How Joe Smo closed 385937593 deals by the age of 9!

    How Oompa Loompa flips 33 houses in 5 days..

    Now...

    Not a fan of podcasts because all these podcasts are basically personal opinions designed to hype up the unsuspecting users to ... get hyped up. Thats it.

    All that stuff on how THEY do it, ... most of the time it is very little actual and a whole lot of theoretical and self admiration disguised as tips and how to.

    Now, I have watched just a few podcasts and when I did watch I didn't stay for long, so this may not be accurate but this is the opinion I have based on several random podcasts I tried to watch... so take it how you want it it is meant to give you a blunt opinion of a BP user that really did try to get into BP podcasts.

    I can tell you that there is not much focus on the CORE of investing, just personal opinions and I honestly can't stand personal opinions especially when they are disguised and packaged as "this is an other way to get successful" when I honestly cringe when I see COUNTLESS of investors (all over the net, including BP) on podcasts completely butchering lead generation... let me tell you som som.. lead gen is the CORE of investing! Yet, almost nothing on it and when there is something on it, I feel like jumping off a cliff!

    All these "brilliant" gadgets and strategies on anything and everything and then they resort to cold calling or DMM for leads. What is the point of BRRRR and all these new ways when your chain is as strong as the weakest link. Amazing strategy X and Y... and how do you do it? Well go do door knocking to get leads, so that THEN you can do amazing strategy X!!

    For me, a savvy investor, these podcasts bring little value (sorry). And for beginners, it brings value .. well in my opinion they THINK it brings value.

    Seriously... I honestly do not like podcasts for that reason. Do a podcast on how to flip a house from beginning to end. Do a podcast featuring NORMAL investors that tried but failed, and dive deep into why they failed, what went wrong, how to avoid it. Focus on education and not so much stroking egos of "Successful" investors. Those are VALUABLE lessons beginners can learn from. Not ego boosting investors that "made it" using questionable methods.

    Check this out...

    Do you all realize what this ENTIRE BP population is doing?

    Let me tell you. 

    While the rest of the nation all are spending money time and effort reaching... "people".... and only AFTER you reach them (having spend the money and /or effort) you figure out if they are motivated sellers or not. You spend what, 10K 20K 30K a month on mailers, commercials, radio ads, cold calling... and after you spend all that money you realize that 97% of the people you paid to reach, turn out they are not motivated at all. Ridiculous. Think about it. It is CRAZY!!! Nuts!!

    Is it not painstakingly obvious that you should only spend time money and effort AFTER you know they are motivated?  

    This is a tremendously obvious flaw in the majority of investors here. I CAN NOT be the only one that figured this out right? NO WAY!

    Then why do I NEVER see a podcast on that? That is a GLARING universal flaw in this entire space of REI, yet no one sees it?! Really??

    It is almost as if BP has partnered or is sponsored by DMM companies or something and act on the interest of the sponsors rather than focusing where you can help people the most. How to give the most value. You have such a strong community here but it truly feels too... commercial. I get it people need to make money, but the podcasts could be such a powerful tool to focus more on helping all these new struggling investors rather then glorifying the podcast guests.

    If I were to start some group, I would truly focus on data collection first. Analysis, figure out why so many people are struggling. Then develop content to truly educate and help people. 

    The reason SO many investors are failing is because of exactly this. The market is FULL of personal opinions, and not so much actual indisputable facts. 

    I read a whole debate on BP's stance on "ohh we are not responsible for the content of the podcasts " as BP was podcasting a thief and scammer.

    My response to this is, what ever you want to "officially" call it, "not responsible" I lost all respect and credibility for BP podcasts. YES BP, you ARE responsible for the podcasts you put out no matter what the official stance is. YOU (BP) are getting a bad name for being part of the problem and spreading and marketing these scammers and seriously questionable advise on a lot of topics especially lead generation.

    The fact of the matter is, no matter how you officially and legally protect your podcasts from blame or lawsuits, this is not helping anyone and therefore the podcasts are pretty much useless in my opinion. It is like podcasts are done for the sake of getting more admiration flowers and more members, instead of helping those that actually need help, succeed.

    So my critique is...

    dudes, focus on the people that need actual on the ground real help. Not fluff and poetic stories on how this cool dude made it big from a strategy no one is really going to apply or can apply as a beginner.

    Let me give you an example.

    One of the recent podcasts some dude was talking about:

    Tarl:
    The key right now is most people build their business and then take their life and try to get their life to fit their business, whatever they have left over. Instead, why don鈥檛 the people do it the other way around where they figure out what kind of life do they actually want to live and then design their business to fit that lifestyle?

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

    This is the stuff I mean.. (this is why I can't watch more than 3 minutes of podcasts). Sure sounds so poetic and clever and awesome ...  wake UP!!

    People have mortgages, five  3 year old kids, have to bring their sick kids to the doctor while working 3 jobs to make ends meet.

    So here comes this dude "Ohh why don't you figure out the fancy lifestyle you want to live and design your business around that". Are you kidding?

    This is what I mean with stroking the egos of the podcast guests.

    A lot of theory, not at all practical. Yes tell these folks to just figure out what lifestyle you want to live and design your business around that. I don';t think he has ever been poor or have ever been struggling. 

    YEAH. Why don't they just pick the life they want and ohh just design your business around that. Oh never mind all the responsibilities and all the money I don't have...

    Lot of theory but very little actual practical in these podcasts.

    I know this was blunt.. but I don't do sugar coating.  It is what it is, and I hope you can extract valuable points here to better the whole podcast thing.

    Now for the good.

    A lot of you (you included) try hard to make this place the way it is and I applaud you for that. Keep up the good work! The fact you posted this post is obviously indication you try to do better. 

    So good on you!

    Very good comment.It's very hard to find good deal and it's hard to find leads at all and all the courses and podcasts are full of success stories and promises of wealth instead of practical details and facts and solving problems. I am as new to this REI has a difficulty to assess what it need and if I am fit for that.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.