What's one quality you look for in a real estate agent?

130 Replies

Here's your chance to be featured in the next issue of BiggerPockets Wealth Magazine!

Investors: What's one quality you look for in a real estate agent?

By responding here, you're allowing us to print your name and response, if chosen, in the next issue of the magazine. We're excited to hear what you have to say!

Maximum Effort. Someone who puts forth more effort than I do in trying to find me my next deal.  All 3 realtors I have worked with have brought me quality off market deals over the years, all due to the effort they put forth into their careers.  

They'll use hustle and their expertise to give their client the best possible result. 

Not all real estate agents play that same game.  I look for an agent that understands investing strategies, not retail sales/purchasing. When you find an agent that understands the game investors play the agent can become a force multiplier for your operation.

@Kaylee Pratt - Negotiation Skills that save me money. A rockstar agent can get a novice agent to accidentally reveal material information such as “the buyer asked for a new roof, but loves the house so much she will buy it anyway even if the seller does nothing.”

@Kaylee Pratt I am an agent but prior to, I worked with agents and I would definitely say responsiveness and the ability to educate/teach being I was new to real estate. My realtor was like that and I still work with her for my long distance properties.

A proposition, I understand responsiveness is at the top of many people's list, I too appreciate that quality, but so much more can be demanded of an agent, it's okay to set the bar high for agent's in all categories. We are more than quick texters and door openers! 

Therefore, I would put mentorship and guidance at the top of the list. People put a lot of trust in their agents to help them make a massive decision on where they want to live or invest. Having someone that takes the time to dig into your short and long term goals and assist in helping you reach them is HUGE. 

Forrest

If responsiveness is your top criteria, any hungry new agent will do. 

Experience is what I would put first, in particular investment experience. One of the resons I got licensed is because I could never find an agent who knew more than I did, what's the point? Good communication is second, probably along with being fiduciary.

Sourcing off-market deals.   I've had agents call me randomly about potentially selling anything.  They're beating the bushes and go into my rolodex. 

Problem solving.

The top agents are always the best at finding solutions.

To have experience/knowledge that sets them apart from the rest, reliability, and no pressure on a purchase or sale. That last one is huge, know that people are going to either buy or sell a home, or an investment which is at their pace not the agent's pace.   

Understanding real estate investing in my eyes is really what can take an agent to the next level.  Satisfied clients will be thrilled with you and give you referrals, but satisfied investors will do the same while continuing to buy more property!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you