Followers vs. Colleagues

13 Replies

This comes directly from @Brandon Turner , post 10 Awesome Things I Didn't Know About BiggerPockets.

1.) Colleagues vs. Followers

No doubt – if you are a member of BiggerPockets you have seen the words “colleagues” and “followers” before. Of course, I’ve seen them but failed to make good use of them or clearly understand the difference. Simply put:

Colleagues: Individuals you want to mutually connect with are known as “colleagues”. Sending a colleague request means you want to interact with the person and the person to interact with you. It is my goal to interact with as many individuals from BiggerPockets as possible – so head on over to the site and send me a Colleague request! I promise I’ll accept! Being Colleagues with others allows you to send private messages to them as well – which is great for networking.

Followers: If you simply want to keep an eye on an investor and receive status updates and their interactions on BiggerPockets – following is for you.

Tip: To send a colleague request or follow an individual, simply click “Connect” beneath their name on either their profile or simply on any forum post and chose “Follow” or “Send Colleague Request.”

Hey Fellas,

Is it possible to "follow" a member once they are already your colleague? If so, how?

Thanks Gents,
Travis

I have a similar question on this topic if @James Vermillion doesn't mind helping me out.. I have only a fraction of the colleagues you do, but still see quite a lot of activity from all these colleagues I am automatically "following."

Ideally, I would like to more closely "follow" my local colleagues in the Bay Area. Is there any way I can "follow" these 30-40 local members, in addition to being a colleague, so I can look specifically and exclusively at their activity? - rather than EVERY colleagues' activity? Or some way to filter only specific colleagues' activity?

Don't get me wrong - I like many of my out of state colleagues. But I like to know what people are doing around here. I have all my local keywords set for cities around the area. But I don't have enough extra keywords to set keywords for each of the 30+ colleagues I would like to more closely follow..

I can't even imagine how James, @Joshua Dorkin , and the other moderators "follow"/monitor the activity/posting of the colleagues they like to most closely follow - with thousands of colleagues. For Josh, the activity must look basically like the "recent forums" tab on BP! Appreciate any advice. Thanks again for the awesome site! Meetups are going great in the Bay Area every month!

Guys -

We've got a whole page of tutorials on our start page at http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

That said, we don't currently offer the ability to create lists of followers/colleagues, however it is something we re-approach every once in a while.

I have tens of thousands of connections and I can spin through their activity in a few minutes a day, provided I'm not going through the forum posts. That adds some time.

Originally posted by @James Vermillion :
This comes directly from Brandon Turner, post [url=http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2012/12/02/awesome-things-i-didnt-know-about-biggerpockets/] 10 Awesome Things I Didn't Know About BiggerPockets[/url].
1.) Colleagues vs. Followers

No doubt – if you are a member of BiggerPockets you have seen the words “colleagues” and “followers” before. Of course, I’ve seen them but failed to make good use of them or clearly understand the difference. Simply put:

Colleagues: Individuals you want to mutually connect with are known as “colleagues”. Sending a colleague request means you want to interact with the person and the person to interact with you. It is my goal to interact with as many individuals from BiggerPockets as possible – so head on over to the site and send me a Colleague request! I promise I’ll accept! Being Colleagues with others allows you to send private messages to them as well – which is great for networking.

Followers: If you simply want to keep an eye on an investor and receive status updates and their interactions on BiggerPockets – following is for you.

Tip: To send a colleague request or follow an individual, simply click “Connect” beneath their name on either their profile or simply on any forum post and chose “Follow” or “Send Colleague Request.”

Where does one find "status updates"? I not sure I've ever seen such a thing.

Originally posted by Account Closed:

Where does one find "status updates"? I not sure I've ever seen such a thing.

David,

They are referring to the updated on your dashboard which you will find when you hit the home icon.

Originally posted by @Carlos Flores:

Would be nice if the comments/message section was mandatory when asking someone to be a colleague.

I agree with Carlos. Since that is not the case now, I have decided to only accept colleague requests via my BP message inbox, and ignore any colleague request that does not make it into my inbox. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you