Adding a marina to a mobile home park

5 Replies

I am about to fly to Florida to look at 3 mobile home parks. This will be my first purchase of a mobile home park. One park has 18 units and is on the shore of a lake has a possibility to add a small Marina. Has anyone added a marina to their property? 

I have talked with other park owners who have these.  Their consensus is that: 1) It does not make money on its own and is solely for the tenants to have a place for their boat; and 2) It helps differentiate what would otherwise be a 2 star park to a 3 star park.  You may have some market-specific benefits not considered here (e.g. very popular vacation destination), so do your homework and keep us posted.

I would probably avoid th ecomplications and environmental requirements of a actual marina and simply install docks for the tennats boats. You can charge an additional monthly docking fee as well.

I work for an engineering firm that designs a lot of marinas. The only way they pay for themselves is if you get up over 150 slips. Anything less than that the infrastructure and associated amenity costs are too high for what you can get for slip rental

Originally posted by @Thomas S. :

I would probably avoid th ecomplications and environmental requirements of a actual marina and simply install docks for the tennats boats. You can charge an additional monthly docking fee as well.