So I just bought a mobile home park with a car loan..

So I just bought a mobile home park with a car loan..

Rental Property Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 129 votes

Hey BP, I am excited to share my creative finance story on this deal I just wrapped up.  So the mobile home park details are as follows:

Purchase price: $110K

13 homes, 2 lot rent and 11 park owned.(2 vacant units)

City water/septic 

Rent: $200-450

Auto Loan 20%down, 7.75% for 6 years full amortization.  

The payment is kinda high but I like the idea of having it paid off in 6 years.   This local bank proposed these terms and I accepted. It was by far the easiest loan process I’ve ever done.  So now I own 2 mobile home parks, a duplex, and my single family home.  The wheels are starting to spin faster and I’m building momentum.  Please respond with comments and questions.

Brandon

24Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Ste. Genevieve, MO · Member since 2009 · 363 posts · 944 votes
7y

Here are some suggestions for you:

1) Give the POHs to the existing residents and raise their lot rents to $300 per month (if the homes are not part of the collateral pool to the car loan). Only the real property rent goes towards the cap rate, so put all the emphasis on that. Plus, at those rents, you're actually losing money on the homes when you factor in R&M, taxes and insurance (after you subtract out the lot rent).

2) Renovate and sell off the two vacant homes for whatever you can get, focusing on the $300 lot rent.

3) You now have the following economics: 13 lots x $300 x 12 x .6 = $28,080 NOI.

4) Your payment is roughly $2,000 per month P&I, as far as I can figure. So you can completely cover the debt.

5) After 6 years, if you continue to increase the rent only 5% per year, you will be taking home about $36,000 per year in net income. NOT BAD ON A $22,000 INVESTMENT. 

VERY CREATIVE WAY TO FINANCE A MOBILE HOME PARK!

We've used everything from credit card debt in the early days to seller carry -- but never a car loan.

See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ryan MurdockPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    What did the bank use for collateral? The land? The mobile homes? Both? Or did you refi a nice car you owned outright...?

  • Real Estate Investor · Ste. Genevieve, MO · Member since 2009 · 363 posts · 944 votes
    7y

    Here are some suggestions for you:

    1) Give the POHs to the existing residents and raise their lot rents to $300 per month (if the homes are not part of the collateral pool to the car loan). Only the real property rent goes towards the cap rate, so put all the emphasis on that. Plus, at those rents, you're actually losing money on the homes when you factor in R&M, taxes and insurance (after you subtract out the lot rent).

    2) Renovate and sell off the two vacant homes for whatever you can get, focusing on the $300 lot rent.

    3) You now have the following economics: 13 lots x $300 x 12 x .6 = $28,080 NOI.

    4) Your payment is roughly $2,000 per month P&I, as far as I can figure. So you can completely cover the debt.

    5) After 6 years, if you continue to increase the rent only 5% per year, you will be taking home about $36,000 per year in net income. NOT BAD ON A $22,000 INVESTMENT. 

    VERY CREATIVE WAY TO FINANCE A MOBILE HOME PARK!

    We've used everything from credit card debt in the early days to seller carry -- but never a car loan.

  • Joshua DiazPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2015 · 269 posts · 165 votes
    7y

    Wow that’s definitely an interesting way to finance!  Thanks for sharing.

  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    7y

    Congrats super unique way to get the deal financed.  

    Questions. 

    1) how did you find the deal?

    2) the bank,? Did you already have a relationship with them and other loans?

    3) how did you get the money for the down payment?  

    As far as what to do next I’ll leave that to the expert MHP folks. I’m curious long term if POH bring in more money versus TOH, when factoring in time requirements.  

  • Rental Property Investor · El Monte CA · Member since 2018 · 134 posts · 66 votes
    7y

    Wow nice

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Brandon Brown Interesting to hear. Congrats! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 129 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Murdock the bank collateral is the land and homes.

    @Frank Rolfe unfortunately the homes are part of the collateral pool so I can’t give them away.  I was thinking about some kind of rent to own agreement. any thoughts?

    @Account Closed I found the deal on the mls.  But got it for a little over half the asking price because it had been on there for some time.

    I used a local bank recommended by the broker.  I didn’t have a previous relationship with them.

    Down payment was savings(15k) and a line of credit(~10k)

  • Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    Super interesting deal. I love these kind of outside the box deals. I’d be looking to off board those POH’s ASAP. R, M & taxes will eat you alive.

    Any way you can sell them off with the bank’s blessing I’d do it.

    Structure something like this: $12,000 for a home. Take $3,000 down payment and create a note for $9,000 @ 12.99%. That’d give you $303.20 a month for 36 months. If the bank hems and haws tell them for every home you sell you’ll give the bank the down payment (or a sizeable chunk of it) as an additional principle payment. That’d be upwards of $30,000 in additional principle. And banks always love it when you have more skin in the game.

    Just some food for thought, but again great job on putting together a very creative deal.

  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2014 · 473 posts · 230 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Brown

    Congrats man! Very creative indeed. What’s the size of your park’s MSA?

  • Rental Property Investor · NC · Member since 2018 · 776 posts · 776 votes
    7y

    I'm interested on why the bank gave you a car loan. Did you look into a personal loan? You probably could have got the 7.75% interest rate without the 20% down.

  • Rental Property Investor · Perkasie, PA · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Brown I know of a 21 unit mobile home park in Tullahoma, TN that is about to go on the market. Message me for details.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Brandon Brown what an awesome and creative idea! I would have never thought that was possible. How did this idea come to fruition?

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    Lucy .. somebody’s got some splanin to do

    So How when or where is the car involved in all this ?

    Explain in detail

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Dennis M. I'm assuming that the mobile homes are registered as motor vehicles, and that's how this was accomplished? I'm hoping for a little more info as well.

  • Rental Property Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 129 votes
    7y

    @Thomas Gardner thanks for the suggestions, I’ll see if the bank is on board with selling the homes.

    @Taylor Chiu MSA is >800,00 and growing 

    @Frank Geiger the bank wanted to have some collateral so they probably wouldn’t have done a personal loan. Not to mention my debt to income ratio probably would’ve supported a personal loan.  But my backup was an internet loan.

    @Jason D.  it was the banks idea.  I simply filled out a loan application and gave them the park details, and that’s what they proposed.

    @Dennis M. the mobile homes are personal property that are titled like vehicles, some the bank recommended that loan product, as the don’t finance “parks”.

    @Jason D. they are titled like cars and the lien from the bank is like a car.

  • Investor · Sewell, NJ · Member since 2016 · 68 posts · 48 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Brown If I was your dad I would be impressed and proud! I am 67 years old and retired with seven mortgage free properties. I bought my first one in 1976. Be careful with leverage but from your post I think you already know that. Congrats again!

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Brandon Brown very cool deal, thanks for the post. When you use a line of credit for part of the down payment, do you try and only make minimum monthly payments? Or do you try to attack it with your rental income prior to cash flow (+)?

  • Rental Property Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 129 votes
    7y

    @Mitchell Mcnall yeah I’ll just pay the minimum until I build my savings backup.  Then I’ll start throwing more at the principal.  

  • HVAC Tech · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2015 · 423 posts · 223 votes
    7y

    Congrats on the purchase. What is POH, TOH?

  • Eric HeinenPro Member
    Fargo, ND · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 15 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Manz:

    Congrats on the purchase. What is POH, TOH?

    Park owned homes, tenant owned home. 

  • Rental Property Investor · NC · Member since 2018 · 776 posts · 776 votes
    7y

    Huh didn’t think of that. Good to know! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Ste. Genevieve, MO · Member since 2009 · 363 posts · 944 votes
    7y

    If the homes are collateral under the loan, I'm not sure you can do a rent/credit because it binds you with selling the collateral at some point, and that's a right you don't have under the loan. You might find out if there is a release price the bank would give you on the home collateral. Otherwise, you are stuck renting the homes.

    However, you can still internally allocate that home rent however you want, and you should push as much of the rent as you can into the lot rent pile. Those are the numbers that your future buyer or banker will be looking at. Talk to your CPA and see if it would be smart to separate the home business from the lot business, and you will then have your books in the right position years from now to maximize a loan or sale. Effectively you are running two businesses: 1) the real property business consisting of the lots and any other real estate and 2) the personal property business consisting of the mobile homes.

  • Investor · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    7y

    never heard of financing a park with an auto loan, great idea and nice job @Brandon Brown

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.