Skip to content
Mobile Home Park Investing

User Stats

Votes
Tricia O'Brien
  • Investor
  • Anchorage, AK
Votes |
Easy Steps to Setting up Mobile Home on Land??

Tricia O'Brien
  • Investor
  • Anchorage, AK
Posted Feb 18 2020, 00:06

I'm looking at buying a vacant lot, then getting a used single wide mobile home for it. The purpose would be to rent it out through a property manager just like a regular single family home. Where I invest (East Central Indiana) there are many used mobile homes for sale (mostly in mobile home parks) and vacant lots for sale.  Most of the mobile homes priced well and in good condition sell within 14 days on facebook marketplace

However, there are 3 problems I've run into.  First, the zoning rules vary widely from one town/city to another regarding set backs, minimum size of home you can place on a lot, etc. Some towns are much more "mobile home friendly" than others.  The second  problem is it is difficult to find people who will do preparation of the land for the mobile hand ,and also  I don't really know what is better/easier/cheaper...putting concrete pillars in the ground every 8 feet or putting down an asphalt or concrete slab. Third , I have heard you are supposed to have a "licensed mobile home installer" attach the home to the ground, but I have called some of them in the big cities and these people won't  come to a small town 75 miles from Indianapolis. Is it really necessary to have a licensed mobile home installer for a single wide mobile home?

Would it be feasible to do it in these five steps ?:

1) First, buy the land and a mobile home within 60 days of each other and have the mobile home moved there, keeping the hitch and axle and wheels in place 

2) Second, get a perimeter wall or concrete pillar every 8 feet built under the  frame of the mobile home. Get the mobile home anchored to the ground by cables. Then remove the wheels and hitch and axle. Have all this done by a handyman

3) Third, get water and sewer lines put in and connected (plumber) . Get electrical connected (electrician)

4) Do any cleaning , painting , etc needed to get it rent ready

4) Get a tenant!

If this is a lousy plan , which step should I change?  If I'm not sure in advance what size home I'll be buying (14x70 vs 16x80 feet) does that change how I should do the land preparation steps? Is it better to do the concrete or asphalt slab than the perimeter wall or concrete pillars?

Any replies would be appreciated! Thanks!

Loading replies...