Texas mobile home title problem

7 Replies

I found a mobile home on 1.25 acres that I was going to buy, made a verbal offer and she accepted. Problem is I looked up the mobile home and it says it’s in someone else’s name and I located in a different city. She said she bought it from Palm harbor used 10 years ago. I had her go there and they said they can’t help her. Anyone have experience with this? 

You cannot buy a mobile home without a title anymore than you can buy a car without a title. Getting titles is really hard -- in some states nearly impossible. The normal method is to buy the home and have the seller sign the title and give it to you so you can file it with the state. If you buy this home in the absence of a proper title, there is no guarantee that you didn't just buy the Brooklyn Bridge from somebody who has no actual ownership at all (like a renter in the home).

I would run away from any deal like this if the proper title cannot be provided.

@Vanessa C. You may want to check with the local government entity in charge of titling mobile homes in your area. Check to see what your options are. If you're just interested in buying the land, you may be able to file for abandonment for the mobile home after the homeowner moves out to see if there's a possibility for you to get title to it that way. Though, you'll have to make sure taxes are paid up including where the home is located on record. This will be part of your due diligence before you close. Hope that helps! 

Originally posted by @Frank Rolfe :

You cannot buy a mobile home without a title anymore than you can buy a car without a title. Getting titles is really hard -- in some states nearly impossible. The normal method is to buy the home and have the seller sign the title and give it to you so you can file it with the state. If you buy this home in the absence of a proper title, there is no guarantee that you didn't just buy the Brooklyn Bridge from somebody who has no actual ownership at all (like a renter in the home).

I would run away from any deal like this if the proper title cannot be provided.

Texas does not have Titles for mobile homes.  We have a form called "SOL" statement of location.  

This property could be classified as real property just like a SFH but an SOL is still needed

I called the Texas dept of Housing about how to change the SOL... they were less than helpful and told me to go to the website. They lady found her receipt from Palm Harbor Homes, I cant believe they didn't take care of this for her. I am just going to tell her she will need to send in the application to change it into her name before I can buy it. My title company said this would need to be done. Oh well, probably on to the next deal.