Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 482 posts · 768 votes
3y
HI Terry, it depends what are you looking for. Do you value more on cash flow or higher appreciation? Also the job opportunities and population growth for both states. The one good thing about both states that there are no income taxes so that's a plus. I would personally look towards TX as they have higher growth population than FL and more corporate hubs are slowing moving to TX meaning more job opportunities which will or has already created a high housing demand. If you decide to invest either TX or FL, we are licensed in both states so if you have any financing questions in terms of the mortgage side, feel free to reach out! I'll be happy to help.
Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 482 posts · 768 votes
3y
HI Terry, it depends what are you looking for. Do you value more on cash flow or higher appreciation? Also the job opportunities and population growth for both states. The one good thing about both states that there are no income taxes so that's a plus. I would personally look towards TX as they have higher growth population than FL and more corporate hubs are slowing moving to TX meaning more job opportunities which will or has already created a high housing demand. If you decide to invest either TX or FL, we are licensed in both states so if you have any financing questions in terms of the mortgage side, feel free to reach out! I'll be happy to help.
Texas has high property taxes and Florida has hurricanes. Pick your problem.
Yup, they both have their demons to tackle however, our investing was in WA state because there were no AC condensers/freon and complex boiler/chiller systems like there are in TX/FL plus property taxes are around .8% of FMV or fair market value annalized while other states are higher especialy TX, FL. This doesnt mean TX/FL are worst however I would need a deal that provided a higher gross income, risk adjusted return, or metrics to warrant that extra operating expense and down the line capital expense too(since all 3 of these states are state income tax free - apples to apples from that perspective.)
Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
I wouldn't really have a "rather" in this argument.
Both states have their own benefits and I'd recommend both states for investing.
It will come down to what you want to do, ultimately.
Narrow down your goals, your buying criteria, and timeline. From there, research which state will be better and then pick.
I would recommend focusing on one state and more specifically one area. That will narrow down your search to what it is that you are exactly looking for.
Texas has high property taxes and Florida has hurricanes. Pick your problem.
Yup, they both have their demons to tackle however, our investing was in WA state because there were no AC condensers/freon and complex boiler/chiller systems like there are in TX/FL plus property taxes are around .8% of FMV or fair market value annalized while other states are higher especialy TX, FL. This doesnt mean TX/FL are worst however I would need a deal that provided a higher gross income, risk adjusted return, or metrics to warrant that extra operating expense and down the line capital expense too(since all 3 of these states are state income tax free - apples to apples from that perspective.)
I lived all my life in Seattle and recently sold all of our properties because of the erratic behavior of the government, high taxes, homelessness, drugs, crime, disdain for landlords, and so on.
I'd rather have hurricanes than invest in Seattle so we moved to Scottsdale where there are no hurricanes, no earthquakes, no volcanoes, taxes are low, profits are high, government is reasonable, crime is low, weather is good, world class restaurants & resorts, golfing is king and I get palm trees and saguaro cacti.
Don't let the hype about Seattle fool you. It really isn't what it used to be.
It is really hard to answer that if you are looking at an entire state. There are great parts of each state to invest in and there are areas where perhaps it isn't so great.
Many mention hurricanes in Florida. For those of us who live here, it is what it is. Houses are build to code. So, as long as the properties are not too old, then they will withstand the storms. Flooding is something to consider. I only buy on elevated land here. If my house floods, then the entire city would have to flood.
Texas has tornados, sand and ice storms. Pretty much anywhere you look has something. Again, building codes for each area are different to account of the environments the buildings are built in. I wouldn't really worry about that. To me, as some have mentioned already, you need to decide what type of investment are you looking for (appreciation or income)? Then I would look for areas that offer that.
I personally, live in Pensacola, FL, and finding good management companies and deals here is very challenging. I invest in other markets where I can find the support needed (property management, contractors, etc ).
I would look for markets you like, then ask around these forums for recommendations. Find a team, before committing capital (assuming you are investing in an area you are not planning on living in.)
Real Estate Agent · Puyallup, WA · Member since 2022 · 551 posts · 378 votes
3y
Just remember that if you do end up choosing to invest in Florida, call a local insurance agent to get some numbers for the specific property. They have storm and flood insurance over there that most places don't, so make sure to run your numbers after getting the insurance quote.
Texas has a problem of oversupply after CA folks moved there, MF overdevelopment would drop rent in the next 3-5 years. however if you will live in TX then TX is good option, lot of good jobs in TX just like in CA.
Florida problem is maily disaster and insurance. But they have no oversupply issue. Job not so much.
Katy, Cypress, Spring, some parts of Houston, Conroe, Tomball, Pearland are great markets.
These cities tend to command quality tenants, and they have great schools.
Get in touch with a local agent or investor and shorten your learning curve and save you a lot of headaches as they tend to understand the market better.
Real Estate Agent · Emerald Coast, FL · Member since 2016 · 820 posts · 486 votes
3y
I sell ONLY to STR property investors on Florida's Emerald Coast. Our market is strong, STRs are solid, and prices are softening. You said SFRs and multi-units, but you didn't note HOW you will be renting them. I advocate for STRs over LTRs in either property type for my market. Appreciation is also very good here.