inspection report - estimate needed

inspection report - estimate needed

New to Real Estate · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 6 votes

I've been searching for my first investment property primarily in the Cleveland area. The property I am considering purchasing has an inspection report but I don't know how to get an estimate of cost for the recommended repairs. Every company I've called "can't help" because I don't own the home... Suggestions for HOW you guys estimate these things regularly and/or someone in Cleveland who can help? Thanks

3Reply
74 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Erica Allen:

@Carlos Ptriawan and @Theresa Harris  @Bruce Woodruff I didn't order the inspection... it was already performed on the property. I called handymen and GCs suggested by real estate agent and property manager I'm working with. They wouldn't look because I don't own the property. Sounds like I am in need of a more reliable "team" during my search

I'll tell you what they are saying without saying it...especially in an OOS investor heavy market like Cleveland. "I don't want to waste my time giving you a bid for a property you might not even buy because if I did that I'd never work and actually make money because of dealing with all you OOS yahoos. I might not even get the work if you own it, but you don't even know if you want this house yet."

So you need to call up one of those guys and ask this question: "What would you charge me to have you look over this inspection report and give me a rough SOW and cost based upon it? This tells them first of all that you value their time, and second of all that you will put your money where your mouth is. Remember there are 1,000 OOS investors just like you asking them to do something for nothing...be the one, the one that isn't just going to waste their time. 
See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    Your home inspector should have a ball park estimate and be knowledgeable in that area.  What sort of things are you trying to get estimates for?

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Erica Allen:

    I've been searching for my first investment property primarily in the Cleveland area. The property I am considering purchasing has an inspection report but I don't know how to get an estimate of cost for the recommended repairs. Every company I've called "can't help" because I don't own the home... Suggestions for HOW you guys estimate these things regularly and/or someone in Cleveland who can help? Thanks


     Inspection report never got an inspection and have done about 500 deals there. All you need is a team in place to handle all for you. I live on the beach in FL and do all my business there.  BTW you and only YOU should know the cost of all repairs, give or take a few bux.....I know dozens of investors from around the world that buy in Cleveland and never had an inspector walk it. Its ALL about your team and knowledge

    Good luck 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    Your home inspector should have a ball park estimate and be knowledgeable in that area.  What sort of things are you trying to get estimates for?


     they will not get involved with pricing, 

  • New to Real Estate · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    The house already had an inspection report on it... so how do you estimate the cost of the repairs when you look at a deal in general? I also live on the beach in Florida and have no frame of reference for costs for these things in Ohio... if you have any suggestions for connecting with those in the area, please let me know.

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 337 posts · 213 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Erica Allen:

    The house already had an inspection report on it... so how do you estimate the cost of the repairs when you look at a deal in general? I also live on the beach in Florida and have no frame of reference for costs for these things in Ohio... if you have any suggestions for connecting with those in the area, please let me know.


     What does your team consist of? They should be the ones helping you with the potential cost of repairs.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Correct that most Home Inspectors will not want to get involved in pricing out repairs (liability). You'll need to hire a GC to look at the report and hopefully the house, to give you some rough numbers....some good ole boys can just do it looking at the report and pictures....

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Erica Allen:

    The house already had an inspection report on it... so how do you estimate the cost of the repairs when you look at a deal in general? I also live on the beach in Florida and have no frame of reference for costs for these things in Ohio... if you have any suggestions for connecting with those in the area, please let me know.


     send it to me so I can take a look.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Erica Allen:

    The house already had an inspection report on it... so how do you estimate the cost of the repairs when you look at a deal in general? I also live on the beach in Florida and have no frame of reference for costs for these things in Ohio... if you have any suggestions for connecting with those in the area, please let me know.


     send it to me so I can take a look.


     I'll take a look as well...

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    Your home inspector should have a ball park estimate and be knowledgeable in that area.  What sort of things are you trying to get estimates for?


     they will not get involved with pricing, 


     if they got involved in pricing there would be conflict of interest obviously.

    Inspection report should be just guideline, but prior of receiving the report one should have general idea about the cost which one is impactful and which other one you could skip.

  • New to Real Estate · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    @Carlos Ptriawan and @Theresa Harris  @Bruce Woodruff I didn't order the inspection... it was already performed on the property. I called handymen and GCs suggested by real estate agent and property manager I'm working with. They wouldn't look because I don't own the property. Sounds like I am in need of a more reliable "team" during my search

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    no you dont even need a team.

    Just send me the freaking inspection report LOL
    I used to analyze 30 inspection per day before I decide which home I want to get a bid.

    You don't need a team or something like that, it's just basic knowledge

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Erica Allen:

    @Carlos Ptriawan and @Theresa Harris  @Bruce Woodruff I didn't order the inspection... it was already performed on the property. I called handymen and GCs suggested by real estate agent and property manager I'm working with. They wouldn't look because I don't own the property. Sounds like I am in need of a more reliable "team" during my search

    Correct, all you need is a member of your team to view for you. I live on the beach and do all my business there. Heck I just renovated, 7 properties in the last 3 weeks and will sell/ flip them, again, all while on the beach,,,,,,, Its ALL about your team and knowledge. 
  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Erica Allen:

    @Carlos Ptriawan and @Theresa Harris  @Bruce Woodruff I didn't order the inspection... it was already performed on the property. I called handymen and GCs suggested by real estate agent and property manager I'm working with. They wouldn't look because I don't own the property. Sounds like I am in need of a more reliable "team" during my search

    I'll tell you what they are saying without saying it...especially in an OOS investor heavy market like Cleveland. "I don't want to waste my time giving you a bid for a property you might not even buy because if I did that I'd never work and actually make money because of dealing with all you OOS yahoos. I might not even get the work if you own it, but you don't even know if you want this house yet."

    So you need to call up one of those guys and ask this question: "What would you charge me to have you look over this inspection report and give me a rough SOW and cost based upon it? This tells them first of all that you value their time, and second of all that you will put your money where your mouth is. Remember there are 1,000 OOS investors just like you asking them to do something for nothing...be the one, the one that isn't just going to waste their time. 
  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    No one wants to work for free, especially when you don't own the property - which means you probably won't buy it and they are wasting their time.

    How much are you offering to pay to get an estimate? 

    Logical Property Management4.9446 Reviews
  • Chicago · Member since 2018 · 214 posts · 165 votes
    3y

    If you don't have a contractor you can ask this or pay to get you an estimate or figure it out yourself maybe you're in the wrong business? 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matt Devincenzo:
    Quote from @Erica Allen:

    @Carlos Ptriawan and @Theresa Harris  @Bruce Woodruff I didn't order the inspection... it was already performed on the property. I called handymen and GCs suggested by real estate agent and property manager I'm working with. They wouldn't look because I don't own the property. Sounds like I am in need of a more reliable "team" during my search

    I'll tell you what they are saying without saying it...especially in an OOS investor heavy market like Cleveland. "I don't want to waste my time giving you a bid for a property you might not even buy because if I did that I'd never work and actually make money because of dealing with all you OOS yahoos. I might not even get the work if you own it, but you don't even know if you want this house yet."

    So you need to call up one of those guys and ask this question: "What would you charge me to have you look over this inspection report and give me a rough SOW and cost based upon it? This tells them first of all that you value their time, and second of all that you will put your money where your mouth is. Remember there are 1,000 OOS investors just like you asking them to do something for nothing...be the one, the one that isn't just going to waste their time. 

     Yea, this is all spot on. Folks go on BP and then read all this crap about getting 3 bids for every job and think that there will be all these contractors begging for their business.

    Lol, doesn't work like this out here in Cleveland. To get a bid expect to pay a GC as much, or more, than what you'd pay a home inspector for a home inspection.

  • Investor · DFW · Member since 2022 · 36 posts · 24 votes
    3y

    This service has helped me in the past to gauge an estimate of a repair price range for action items on the inspection report. 


    https://www.repairpricer.com/

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Erica Allen:

    @Carlos Ptriawan and @Theresa Harris  @Bruce Woodruff I didn't order the inspection... it was already performed on the property. I called handymen and GCs suggested by real estate agent and property manager I'm working with. They wouldn't look because I don't own the property. Sounds like I am in need of a more reliable "team" during my search


     If it was paid for by the seller, I'd have my own inspection done.  You can call someone and ask for a ball park price based on a description.  No need to tell them you are buying a property and that is why you are asking.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Matt Devincenzo:
    Quote from @Erica Allen:

    @Carlos Ptriawan and @Theresa Harris  @Bruce Woodruff I didn't order the inspection... it was already performed on the property. I called handymen and GCs suggested by real estate agent and property manager I'm working with. They wouldn't look because I don't own the property. Sounds like I am in need of a more reliable "team" during my search

    I'll tell you what they are saying without saying it...especially in an OOS investor heavy market like Cleveland. "I don't want to waste my time giving you a bid for a property you might not even buy because if I did that I'd never work and actually make money because of dealing with all you OOS yahoos. I might not even get the work if you own it, but you don't even know if you want this house yet."

    So you need to call up one of those guys and ask this question: "What would you charge me to have you look over this inspection report and give me a rough SOW and cost based upon it? This tells them first of all that you value their time, and second of all that you will put your money where your mouth is. Remember there are 1,000 OOS investors just like you asking them to do something for nothing...be the one, the one that isn't just going to waste their time. 

     Yea, this is all spot on. Folks go on BP and then read all this crap about getting 3 bids for every job and think that there will be all these contractors begging for their business.

    Lol, doesn't work like this out here in Cleveland. To get a bid expect to pay a GC as much, or more, than what you'd pay a home inspector for a home inspection.


     Yea lol

    sometimes , we need to pay the GC to visit the house lol that’s why I no longer invest OOO


    but truly the inspection report could give OP a ballpark number .


    this team thing also doesn’t exist when you have PM lol, have you even contact local PM yet ?

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matt Devincenzo:
    Quote from @Erica Allen:

    @Carlos Ptriawan and @Theresa Harris  @Bruce Woodruff I didn't order the inspection... it was already performed on the property. I called handymen and GCs suggested by real estate agent and property manager I'm working with. They wouldn't look because I don't own the property. Sounds like I am in need of a more reliable "team" during my search

    I'll tell you what they are saying without saying it...especially in an OOS investor heavy market like Cleveland. "I don't want to waste my time giving you a bid for a property you might not even buy because if I did that I'd never work and actually make money because of dealing with all you OOS yahoos. I might not even get the work if you own it, but you don't even know if you want this house yet."

    So you need to call up one of those guys and ask this question: "What would you charge me to have you look over this inspection report and give me a rough SOW and cost based upon it? This tells them first of all that you value their time, and second of all that you will put your money where your mouth is. Remember there are 1,000 OOS investors just like you asking them to do something for nothing...be the one, the one that isn't just going to waste their time. 
    Spot On!!! ^^^
  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Matt Devincenzo:
    Quote from @Erica Allen:

    @Carlos Ptriawan and @Theresa Harris  @Bruce Woodruff I didn't order the inspection... it was already performed on the property. I called handymen and GCs suggested by real estate agent and property manager I'm working with. They wouldn't look because I don't own the property. Sounds like I am in need of a more reliable "team" during my search

    I'll tell you what they are saying without saying it...especially in an OOS investor heavy market like Cleveland. "I don't want to waste my time giving you a bid for a property you might not even buy because if I did that I'd never work and actually make money because of dealing with all you OOS yahoos. I might not even get the work if you own it, but you don't even know if you want this house yet."

    So you need to call up one of those guys and ask this question: "What would you charge me to have you look over this inspection report and give me a rough SOW and cost based upon it? This tells them first of all that you value their time, and second of all that you will put your money where your mouth is. Remember there are 1,000 OOS investors just like you asking them to do something for nothing...be the one, the one that isn't just going to waste their time. 
    Spot On!!! ^^^

     We've been discussing this inspection report for a while now and offering my free service, but still has not yet receive the inspection report LOL.

    Inspection report is good and bad, I meant if you hire inspector that's too stringent and seller that doesn't know what you are doing, you may undersell your house and that really happened to me.
     
    Here we have to give buyer inspection report, usually if something comes up, me as seller would fix the issue before they came, and if they come with bad report again I may hire different guy LOL.

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Erica Allen

    taking a step back

    what's the purchase price?  what's the projected rent?  what are your goals for the property?  are you paying cash or financing?

    are there any 'big ticket' items in the report - roof, HVAC, electrical, plumbing?

    maybe taking a big picture perspective will help

    buying a property that is on market, with financing, that needs lots of repairs, is going to take a lot of cash - whether it's in OH or FL

  • Member since 2020 · 33 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    1. Pay a general contractor for their time. Offer a $200 to estimate the items from the report. 
    2. Get estimates for big ticket items such as roof, HVAC, etc. from specialized contractors. 
    3. Use Google to get ballpark estimates. 
    This strategy should help you determine whether the house numbers will work or not. 

  • Contractor · Richardson, TX · Member since 2022 · 265 posts · 146 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Erica Allen:

    The house already had an inspection report on it... so how do you estimate the cost of the repairs when you look at a deal in general? I also live on the beach in Florida and have no frame of reference for costs for these things in Ohio... if you have any suggestions for connecting with those in the area, please let me know.


     send it to me so I can take a look.


     I'll take a look as well...


    Bruce... all of a sudden, your being nice!?!? lolol  (kidding with ya, miss ya!)

  • Real Estate Agent · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2021 · 166 posts · 116 votes
    3y

    I haven't met a home inspector who is willing to give quotes for the items they flag, could turn around to bite them in the rear. Definitely start making friends with local contractors and other investors will be your best bet until you get comfortable doing a ballpark on your own. Keep looking, great contractors are out there!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.