Bad time with rates and prices!?

Bad time with rates and prices!?

Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 2 votes

Hello guys and gals,

I’m looking to get into real estate investing and more specifically residential SF rental property in the Midwest. I have ran the numbers on many calculators with a purchase range of 200-300k and the math just ain’t mathing (break even or negative per month). I think this is pretty normal for this climate but just want to see if others have any advice? 

2Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · CO · Member since 2016 · 757 posts · 1k+ votes
2y

@Sean Petrie

Yes, times are tough for buyer. Adjust your strategy to match the market.

Find an add value and play the long term game. The good deals are unicorns.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y

    @Sean Petrie

    Yes it’s a bad time unless you find some stellar off market deal

    The other option is if you are looking to hold something for 7+ years then usually never a bad time to buy

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    If you are solely judging your investment on the cash flow then yes, it's a bad time to purchase but you could be missing out on good  properties as there are plenty of distressed opportunities out there. Also, banks are lending with lower leverage which means investors are required to bring more cash to the table to close. This is keeping many on the sidelines as well which could present opportunities as you might find yourself in a position where you have better negotiating leverage. As rates continue to decrease, more investors will come off the sidelines.

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Thank you Stuart and Chris! I appreciate you both taking the time to reply! Your feedback is very helpful.

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    @Sean Petrie

    house hacking is a great way to get started but not everyone's situation permits it.

    here's a great thread on the challenges of investing OOS in the midwest.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1159104-overl...

  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hey Sean, the numbers still work in Detroit. In fact, I've changed basically nothing from the strategy I've been running there since 2019.

    That said, I'm strategically picking properties in strong C Class areas that have potential to transition quickly to B areas. I find my deals off-market and do some cosmetic updates.

    In short, it's not for everyone and many will fail trying to run this playbook from out of state (or even locally).

    There are still areas and markets that work, you just need to be more creative or willing to put more work in than you did in the past.

  • Logan LaperriereBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2023 · 333 posts · 124 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sean Petrie:

    Hello guys and gals,

    I’m looking to get into real estate investing and more specifically residential SF rental property in the Midwest. I have ran the numbers on many calculators with a purchase range of 200-300k and the math just ain’t mathing (break even or negative per month). I think this is pretty normal for this climate but just want to see if others have any advice? 

    Hi Sean,

    I own several cash flowing properties in Michigan. I am still actively acquiring more. I currently own investment properties in Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, and Metro Detroit. We still have several areas in Michigan that beat the 1% rule. I have several out of state investor clients. If you would ever like to talk about some potential areas in Michigan to invest feel free to reach out. 
  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Sean Petrie at those prices, you are probably looking at Class A properties. These rarely cashflow from day one, usually taking 3-5 years to cashflow.

    Why? Because rents do not increase linearly with prices. That's why investors in California either invest in their backyard for appreciation or OOS for cashflow.

    In our experience, most investors should start with Class B rental properties. There will be a few headaches and learning experiences, but most won't bankrupt you.

    Class C has more headaches and higher chances of making huge mistakes. So, investors either need to be experienced, have a great team (which is another headache) or stay away.

    Check some of the great things happening in Detroit and DM us if you have more questions:)
    https://michiganchronicle.com/2024/01/03/major-developments-that-will-define-detroit-in-2024/

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Norman, OK · Member since 2018 · 156 posts · 529 votes
    2y

    Agree, I also had a hard time making the numbers work in the midwest without house hacking being involved. Buying cheap and fixing up is an option, too!

  • Investor · CO · Member since 2016 · 757 posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Sean Petrie

    Yes, times are tough for buyer. Adjust your strategy to match the market.

    Find an add value and play the long term game. The good deals are unicorns.

  • Member since 2022 · 47 posts · 17 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nicholas L.:

    @Sean Petrie

    house hacking is a great way to get started but not everyone's situation permits it.

    here's a great thread on the challenges of investing OOS in the midwest.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1159104-overl...


     Great thread, thanks for sharing!

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y

    Look for distressed properties. That will give you a lot of wiggle room to make up the cash flow (and appreciation). Plus it will lessen your competition as most people run away from rough properties....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.