Is there a way to find out ownership of property

14 Replies

Is there a way (database) to enter someone's name and find all the properties they own?

Some county web sites will allow a search by the property owners' name. But this would need to be done county by county. In addition, it would not turn up properties held separately by different LLC's, Partnerships, or other legal entities that the person might own.

HI. It's usually under the county tax assessor's/collector's office. You can search by name, property address, parcel number, etc. Some counties have more user friendly sites than others. If you have trouble finding what you need, you can usually visit the office and someone will help show you how to find it. Hope that helps. Best of Luck!

Here in Montana you can use what is called the "Montana Cadastral Mapping". The state of Montana runs it and it is it is free and shows all kinds of info: tax, lot size, description, owners, all sorts of great stuff. Basically everything you can get at the clerk and recorders office.

My wife just showed me that you can search for almost any criteria, including names. Kinda fun typing in local investors names just to see what they own.

Not sure if there is one where you live, but there should be... We get frustrated trying to look up properties out of state and it seems like there are hardly any others out there. If you find more like this let me know!

Most municipalities have this information on their website. (Or at least a link to a different website where you can find it) However I have on several occasions called in a favor to a title company where I have done business with and they have quickly looked this up for me for free.

If you really need to get the info and are not having any luck with the county or those methods listed above, you may choose to use a private investigator. In my area they charge between $150-200 to get you the owners info including address phone number etc.

@Kevin Fletcher yes, that's usually per property, unless you can work out a "bulk" deal where they may give you a slight discount to do multiple searches. I haven't had to use a PI yet, however, I do have one that I've worked with before for other things, and he says it's really easy for them to do something like that. I can provide whatever information I have, like address of the property, and they can lookup the rest. They have access to DMV records, court records, etc.

Hi Karen,

Here in DC you can pretty easily find out who owns a particular property by doing an address search in the DC government's property tax database. The link to the database search tool is here: https://www.taxpayerservicecenter.com/RP_Search.jsp?search_type=Assessment

I'm not aware of any publicly available tool here in DC that lets you search by an individual's name to find all of the properties they own (but that certainly doesn't mean that it doesn't exist).

-Rob

@Roman Pak You must have to have a pretty good feeling that you will get the property in question, if you are willing to do that. It could be an expensive lesson, if you don't get favorable responses.

Hi Karen. Were you able to search properties using the link David provided? Does this only work for Washington DC?

@ Scott Hearne, Yes! David's link was good! All I had to do was type in the person's last name and bingo! Great feature! I suppose most cities would have a similar link. I just googled: "online public records austin texas real estate" and got "Travis county" records. I typed in the last name "Johnson", and it gave me all the Johnsons.

Kewl, eh?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.