Contacting Owners

1 Reply

Hi All,

I have a question about reaching home owners that may be interested in selling.

Once I find out the name of the property owner though county records, my strategy for making contact is to look them up in the White Pages and try to call them, however, I find I rarely hear back from people, even if I leave a vague message like, "I'm looking for the owner of 123 Main St. and have a quick question". We also do direct mail, but as most people know the response rate is dismal.

So, how do you go about getting in touch with owners once you have identified potential properties? Thank you!

A lot of people do not appreciate cold calling. Even if you leave a message, an audio message is a very difficult way to initiate trust. A listener can interpret a lot out of a voice that has nothing to do with the words, such as inflection, tone, confidence, even gender. These interpretations can vary radically from message to message, reciever to reciever. You remove these variables if you just write a letter. The reader is more likely to call back after careful, detailed consideration of the mostly tangible information that you sculpt into the letter.

The vagueness of your message I think is probably carrying a creep factor... They have no idea why you might be calling, how you know them, their number, etc. This is just my opinion, but such a message is probably more likely to inspire someone to change their locks than to call back.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here