Master Bathroom

5 Replies

Been thinking of doing some remolding in my master bathroom but not sure how it will effect the value of it. House was built within the last 5 years, just a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house in a nice area & subdivision. Master bathroom has a garden tub and a kind of tight shower. Been thinking of getting rid of the tub & making one pretty big tiled shower with seating. The second bathroom has a tub in it. Plans are to stay here from anywhere from 5 to 10 years & then sell it or use it as rental property. Will this decrease the value of the home?

My company we do about 50 bath rooms a year most of the times the bath is a place with great return on a home. Before you go and rip the bath room out I would call a listing agent and see what you could get for the new bath rooms or talk with a appraisal about it what it would do with the resale value. Please do not over build them . There is also a website called construction values and cost and you can put your region in and see what cost may be and what return may be ..I Wish you luck Guevara

Thanks for the advice.

Enjoy the home your living in. You plan on staying for 5 to 10 years. The other bathroom has a tub--do what you want. That's the joy of owning your own home. Who knows what will happen in 5 to 10 years--in the housing market and in your life. I do know if you don't do anything, down the road ( if not now) every time you use the cramped shower, you will be thinking about that nice, big, tiled shower with seating and how wonderful that would be. Don't have regrets, enjoy your life now!

I think the advice above is good! One thing to keep in mind as well though is that fashions in interior design do change. So don't splurge on something that would have a big "wow" factor for today's buyer and bank on it having the same effect in ten years.

I'm a big bathtub fan personally, however I think for the future having one bathroom with a walk in shower might be an advantage. It helps with accessibility for older folks or disabled persons.

That's always a thing with house proud homeowners, they spend a fortune on personal creature comforts thinking it will add value, but all it usually does at best is help the home sell faster.

Looked at a house this morning where the owner had spent over $12k in the past year on upgrades and it blew her away when we told her it was all going to come back out in the rehab anyway.

So upgrading a new house is a lot like art, don't do it with the expectation of financial gain - unless you're doing it professionally and for a profit.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide