Small kitchen in a 1500 4 bed house

7 Replies

Hi all, I know kitchens and baths sell houses so how big of a deal is this? I can blow out a wall to make the space a bit bigger... Or maybe make the baths better? Any ideas ?

Yes and no. If you lose a bedroom or make your living space awkward it probably wouldn't be worth it in my opinion. If you can create a "great room" space that includes kitchen, dinning, and living it would feel bigger. Maybe blow out a wall to do that as long as that doesn't cost you all your cabinet space.

Has anyone ever used google's drawing program to layout houses? I use it and like it.

Full disclosure, my rehabbing is pretty limited to rentals and not retail flips. I would never give up a bedroom, but maybe your market can support that. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

@Drew Denham ,

Does the Kitchen have enough space for a Table and Chairs, to eat at?

Do you have a Dining Room in this house?

If you get rid of that wall, how much bigger will the Kitchen be?

Raymond

@Raymond B.

At it is now, yes 4 chairs could fit but it would be kind of tight. No dinning room and the living room is small too.

Could I take 2-3 feet out of the master and extend the kitchen? Not sure if it's load baring or if that even matters (can move it)

Thanks for the feedback!

@Drew Denham ,

Is it possible to get rid of one of the Bedrooms and expand both the Kitchen and Living Room?

Raymond

@Raymond B.

Without breaking the bank and re arranging everything I don't think so. I think I could shorten the master bedroom by three feet which could help a lot.. This is my first real offer to a house in a new market and I'm a bit nervous ... My offer is 80k (list price 84,900) and the bank just dropped 11k this week.... Not sure if I'll even get it ... It's in a great neighborhood but needs the following

All new windows
New garage siding and door
Landscape
All new flooring 1500 sq ft
Two baths re done
New kitchen
Move a wall
Paint
New fixtures

30k safe estimate ?

Puts me at 115k$ .... Back in 2006 the neighborhood was at 139,900$

I haven't checked roof furnace or ac yet..

Just a quick idea - you might consider a built-in bench (with lid for storage underneath) to create an eat-in area for the kitchen. It doesn't take up the footprint of multiple chairs, plus you get a little extra storage space. Easy to build & it can be fitted to an otherwise awkward space that table/chairs don't fit into. Might be a way to maximize your space.

Why not keep looking? It seems the property offers considerable obstacles to overcome and who knows what you might encounter? Make your first deal an easy one. If your looking to flip it must be a house that has some type of "wow" factor. Making the master smaller diminishes the Wow. Food for thought.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here