Risks of purchasing previous meth house?

6 Replies

I'm looking at a home that was previously a meth lab home. It was supposed to have been "cleaned up" and was purchased once in 2011 after the meth problem.

My realtor is saying the home still has the stigma even tho it was supposed to have been treated and cleaned and even gone thru a new owner 3 years ago.

I have obtained a copy of the Certificate of Illegal Drug Lab Cleanup from the Indiana Dept of Environmental Management. It is dated 9-2010

The home is currently listed at the exact price it sold for back in 2011

I suppose i'd shy away from this one as a flip, but how about a long term hold as a rental?

Does anyone have experience with purchasing previous Meth homes?

What is involved in having the home retested for contaminates 4 years after the fact?

Check your state's disclosure laws. There shouldnt be any stigma if remediation was done properly. In my state you dont have to disclose after proper remediation.

A good friend of mine purchased a house that had a meth lab in the garage before the DEA raided it and took the homeowner at that time to jail. He received a similar certificate and copies of invoices from the clean up crew. But the price he paid for the house was so unbelievably cheap because of the meth lab that it made perfect sense to purchase. Not sure about the whole testing process four years later but I'd be willing to bet that it's contaminate free unless they were running a Walter White Breaking Bad type of operation. Let us know what you find out.

Hey @Chris Adams , meth labs before rebab are evil, after rehab have been good as far as I know. The work they do is pretty extensive. I think the test kits are fairly inexpensive. You might check with your local specialty cleaners. I think some keep the kits to make sure they are not getting into something bad. Meth is a pretty evil thing so no harm in being careful.

@Anson Young I did a bit of research and there is talk of a bill in IN that would force meth contaminated homes to be listed online. If the law passed the home could be removed 90 days after it was considered clean by the state. ( i need to research more tho)

@Michael Jobe I would also like to believe the Cert from the State means the home is clean.

@Jerry W. I found a couple home testing companies that have test kits you mail in after testing. I may call these companies for more specific info if I move forward.

Due diligence is best defense. If the home is a "GREAT" deal then get it tested again. Believing it is "Clean" is like believing every home in NJ that received an "Acceptable" mold spore count 1 year ago is good today... NOT!!!! Meth is a bad compound and a esquire/judge/jury would destroy a greedy R/E investor for not getting it tested if disclosed before selling or especially knowingly renting it that might expose the poor tenant to long term exposure.... Just my opinion

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.