Offering below listing price in Colorado in 2025

Offering below listing price in Colorado in 2025

Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hi Everyone! I’m a newbie looking to purchase my first rental. Looking at a house hack deal in the northern Colorado market. We own a house here and are looking to buy a home near us for easy transition. Looking at the market I’ve noticed prices are dropping a bit and  homes are staying on the market for longer periods of time. My question is:

Is it okay to offer $40k, $60k, $80k less than asking price in a fairly competitive market that may be cooling a bit? My agent is recommending we pay asking price or just below and ask for seller concessions of 3% closing costs/ 1/1 or 2/1 but down. Is that the normal or could we get feisty and ask for $40-$80k less than asking?

Example, I found a deal the same style home as our current home early 2000’s build. It’s going for $470k single story with an unfinished basement with a bathroom. Our house is the same but with a finished basement valued at $450k and decreasing in $1k-$3k per month for the past year or more. Ideally I want to buy and finish the basement for $450k-$490k. Would offering $385k-$420k be overstepping?

Thank you in advance! 

1Reply
22 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brian TeeterBusiness Member
    Little Rock, AR · Member since 2021 · 75 posts · 64 votes
    1y

    I offer below asking all the time.  There is not a general rule as to how much below will work. There are a lot of factors that come into play. For example, how motivated is the seller, is the home over priced to begin with. How long has the home been oil market and how many (if any) price drops.

    Keep in your back pocket that, once under contract,  you plan to go back to seller and ask for a repair concession. I think it's money well spent to get a reputable home inspector to inspect and write a thorough report.  Then, take a contractor in and get an estimate.  Then, go back to the seller with the report and highlight the issues that concern you. Show them the report and the estimate.  I wont usually ask for the seller to concede the full amount of the estimate. But I often ask they concede 50%.  

    Good luck!

    Turnkey Property Management4.8170 Reviews
    View Page
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    1y

    How much inventory is in the zip code? Is it 1 month or 8 months of inventory. Use supply and demand to help determine how much a realistic offer is. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.