Would you consider these trees a hazard?

4 Replies

I'm about to view this property at Norfolk, VA tomorrow and I'm not really sure what to think about the trees in the front yard. Would you consider these trees hazardous? What are your experiences on trees that run this tall, especially since it's right next to the property itself.

If I end up buying this property, should I include the trimming of the trees in the contract or would that be asking for too much? That is a lot of trees.

I'd probably have them topped just in case of a big storm. check the roots to see if their growing into the foundation or septic, If so, then I would have the trees removed. Other than that try to keep them, shade trees are a huge energy saving a property value importance in my area.

Any tree can be a hazard , trimming is normal maintenance , and the tree can still fall . From the picture , those trees wouldnt bother me a bit , until I had to rake the leaves

On the contrary, I'd consider them an asset to the property since they provide ample shade to the home and yard. If you are unused to mature trees they may seem 'big' but they are little twigs compared to the HUGE oaks in my backyard. If upon closer inspection they seem weak or diseased pay the $250 to an Arborist to come out and give you an opinion on what can/should be done to them.

Me and my wife looked at it today and it turns out that one of the big branches are just hanging right above the roof. About a foot or two from the roof itself. I'm thinking of getting the whole tree cut if we were to buy. Thanks for the input everybody!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here