gc your flips in MA?

6 Replies

Hey Guys,

Do I need a csl license to get a building permit for my own flips in MA? I'd like to manage the construction on my next flip and not sure what's required.



Originally posted by @Justin Silverio :
I'm pretty sure you can pull building permits as the owner but I would highly recommend that you get a licensed contractor (CSL license) to pull permits for your rehabs.

Are contractors likely to do that if you're hiring your own subs??

Licensed only. You can't even replace a front door without a licensed contractor pulling the permit.

@Matthew Dovner , I've recently pulled 2 permits. One on a primary as the homeowner, the other for limited work for electrical. The homeowners permit was more paperwork and waivers. The electrical was a licensed contractor and much easier, I just did the leg work. Check with the local dept.

Matthew Dovner I should have mentioned the contractor for the primary is also licensed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.