Buying Without a Realtor on Oahu – Purchase Agreement Guidance Needed

Buying Without a Realtor on Oahu – Purchase Agreement Guidance Needed

Investor · PNW · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes

I’m actively shopping for a single-family home on Oahu, Hawaii, and I plan to purchase as a self-represented buyer. This will be my fourth home purchase, so I’m comfortable with the process and not too intimidated by going in unrepresented. With Hawaii home prices, saving 2–3% makes the challenge worthwhile.

The one part I’d like professional input on is the Purchase Agreement. I’ve found Hawaii-specific blank contracts through the local real estate association, but I’d like to work with a lawyer to either:
a) review what I can draft using the standard form, or
b) generate one from scratch.

Here are some requests for information and advice:

  1. 1. Do you have any recommendations for lawyers or agencies on Oahu who can draft/review purchase agreements?

  2. 2. Realtors can usually generate these contracts overnight—how long does it typically take a lawyer to put one together?

  3. 3. Would you recommend submitting a Letter of Intent (with proof of funds attached) to the seller’s agent as a placeholder while waiting for a formal purchase agreement from a lawyer? My thought is that at least gives the seller confidence that an official offer is on the way.

  4. 4. Any other suggestions for navigating this as a self-represented buyer would be much appreciated.  If you have any stories to tell about your experience purchasing a home self-represented, please share! 

Cheers,
Daniel

0Reply
45 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Paia, HI · Member since 2016 · 479 posts · 311 votes
    11mo

    Not a lawyer, but I can help with this for a fee. DM

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.